Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Ohio Oil Need help with this logo - Fri Sep 17 2021 10:18 PM
I've seen it before ... can't remember when it was used...thanks.

Attached picture 123_1.jpeg
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Need help with this logo - Fri Sep 17 2021 10:41 PM
Similar to the old best in the long run Marathon logo.
Posted By: Tankar Re: Need help with this logo - Fri Sep 17 2021 10:55 PM
That would be my guess Marathon
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Need help with this logo - Fri Sep 17 2021 11:02 PM
That's what Im trying to determine ... I think I saw it somewhere else though ... trying to validate a new find
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: Need help with this logo - Mon Sep 20 2021 07:44 PM
Interesting. I have never seen this specific colorized version of Phidippides by "The Ohio Oil". His likeness was used by many promo's and companies over the years.
I have book shelves full of photos advertisements and they don't show the detailed striping shown above.

Usually the Ohio and Transcontinental used it in conjunction with "Best In The Long Run" and Trademarked.
I have seen exceptions to that.

Chuck
Posted By: Morgan Re: Need help with this logo - Mon Sep 20 2021 07:52 PM
What are these made of? What size are they? They appear to be three dimensional. Could they have been used as bare casting and painted at a later date by someone just being artistic?

They do look familiar.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Need help with this logo - Mon Sep 20 2021 10:33 PM
You are the man Morgan...it is 3 dimensional...I'm being told it's Marathon, but I can't find anything that matches it. ... even in their transitional stuff this guy never shows up.
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: Need help with this logo - Tue Sep 21 2021 10:14 AM
Morgan may have a good point. It may have been painted by someone. Early Marathon stations had runners on top of the building. I am curios as to how tall they are.

These two versions of a Runner are the only ones I have seen like this. About 20" tall.
First time I saw it was in an old Bulk Plant photo, Someone had put on the front of a car.
Second place I have actually seen it, is the the Executive Dining room in Marathon's Findlay home office building.
There was a runner on top of some of the buildings in the 1940's. Still looking for a photo of one.

Chuck

Attached picture Runner on Car Grill.JPG
Attached picture Runner in board room.jpg
Posted By: Dave Rowlison Re: Need help with this logo - Tue Sep 21 2021 11:42 AM
The shadow shows that this one is three dimensional & is certainly taller than 20"

Dave

Attached picture tulsa.jpg
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Need help with this logo - Tue Sep 21 2021 12:52 PM
[Linked Image]Regarding the pic I posted...here's the other only known one like it.

Attached picture 123_1(1)(1).jpeg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk