Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: JackJ Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 01:10 AM
Found this Bennett 646B in town and am trying to work a deal for it. I've got a couple of questions.

It's an old installation and is apparently still hooked up to an underground tank. How hard is it to disconnect a pump and what are the dangers? The guts are there, but I haven't gotten inside the pump yet.

What should I pay for a pump in this condition? It's missing a badge on one side and the window glass on one door is gone.

Thanks for your help. - Jack J.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Bennett 646B.jpg
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 02:01 AM
That looks like a $1100.00 pump. They sell in the $900.00 to $1500.00 range.
Posted By: JackJ Re: Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 03:23 AM
Thanks Matt, that's a great guide on the price. Now, what am I getting myself into to get it out of there and home?
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 03:43 AM
Make sure the power is off. A couple of pipe wrenches with cheater bars. Tools to disconnect the pump from the slab. Most important bee spray.
Posted By: JackJ Re: Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 03:59 AM
Wouldn't have thought of bee spray. Is there any concern about remaining gas or fumes? It looks unused for years.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 10:18 AM
I usually put a cap on the pipe that sticks out of the ground when your done. It’s a nice gesture to the owner, so rain doesn’t get into the existing tank (and mix with any possible leftover gas) and so fumes don’t escape. It’s just a good safety measure all the way around. You may have to go to a local hardware store after you take it off, or just tell the previous owner that they should probably cap it.
Posted By: fuelboy Re: Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 11:54 AM
For all that work in removing it, there's your bargaining chip. Maybe.
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 12:08 PM
No matter how long this gas pump has been unused, there will still be gas in the internal pump mechanism and supply lines. Stale, stinky and likely to leak out during transport especially if hauled laying down. May want to stick a rag in the pipe you just disconnected from the underground tank and duct tape over that until you can drain or remove the actual pump mechanism.
Posted By: JackJ Re: Bennett 646B - Tue Jun 29 2021 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Now if I can just close the deal... This will be my first pump with the guts. I'm pretty enthused. - Jack J.
[Linked Image]
(Looking in through the access door)

Attached picture Guts.jpg
Posted By: JackJ Re: Bennett 646B - Wed Jun 30 2021 12:03 AM
Another couple of questions from a relative newbie:

- How much does a pump like this weigh (with guts)
- I couldn't quickly find the releases for the doors through the access door. What do they look like? (I didn't have much poke-around time as I was technically trespassing).

Thanks for your patience for questions from someone new to the pump collecting hobby. I'm having so much fun I feel guilty. - Jack J.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Bennett 646B - Wed Jun 30 2021 04:36 AM
I would never ‘poke around’ and trespass on someone’s property. You should find the owner before proceeding any further.
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Bennett 646B - Wed Jun 30 2021 01:43 PM
While we all understand the passion for this hobby, I agree with Speedracer. Locate the owner of the property you are trespassing on and get their approval to look at the pump before going any farther. In fact I would have them send you an email with their permission. Finding these pumps is getting more difficult with each passing day, but it is even more difficult to find pumps in the wild from behind bars.
Posted By: JackJ Re: Bennett 646B - Wed Jun 30 2021 02:46 PM
I appreciate the warning. The house is vacant and in a state of slow renovation. A friend of mine found the pump while doing construction work across the street. We went to the house trying to find someone and no one was around. The pump is literally 8 feet from the public road with no fencing anywhere on the property. We have since gotten a contact number for the owner and have found out that he had previously had an interested buyer for the pump but the deal fell through when the buyer discovered it was attached and very heavy. Getting arrested would spoil much of the fun, so other than a few pictures, we left the pump unmolested. It is important to respect other people's property and I thank you for the reminder. - Jack J.
Posted By: huskybob Re: Bennett 646B - Thu Jul 01 2021 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by JackJ
Another couple of questions from a relative newbie:

- How much does a pump like this weigh (with guts)
- I couldn't quickly find the releases for the doors through the access door. What do they look like? (I didn't have much poke-around time as I was technically trespassing).

Thanks for your patience for questions from someone new to the pump collecting hobby. I'm having so much fun I feel guilty. - Jack J.

This particular pump has a knob you have to turn instead of levers.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture EB3CB6AC-3A6E-4F64-939C-8BA95A33ECF7.jpeg
Posted By: JackJ Re: Bennett 646B - Thu Jul 01 2021 02:07 AM
Thanks, huskybob, for the info and photo. JJ
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk