Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: model72 Red Crown Globe Question - Wed Apr 28 2021 01:41 PM
Based on the 7" diameter base and information in the oldgas archives, I believe this globe is original. It looks like it could be a repaint based on the condition of the paint. I suppose it could be a NOS globe that never saw the light of day.

I would like to get your opinions on whether it looks like a repaint.
Joe

Attached picture IMG_1278.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1280.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1283.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: Red Crown Globe Question - Wed Apr 28 2021 02:23 PM
picture of it lit please .. ... cool
Posted By: model72 Re: Red Crown Globe Question - Wed Apr 28 2021 04:04 PM
Randy, the globe is in the possession of a friend. I have obtained enough evidence from knowledgeable people that it is a reproduction. Apparently, there are repros with 7" unthreaded bases. I suspect that when lit up, it will not be as translucent as the originals were.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Red Crown Globe Question - Wed Apr 28 2021 05:23 PM
I can't speak to the originality aspect without inspecting it in person, but regardless it's repainted if it's original. The paint is way too shiny and the texture is off. To my knowledge, the style of lettered RC globe illustrated never came with a threaded base in the first place, so you can't base originality on that for this particular version. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement though?!
Darin
Posted By: petropumps Re: Red Crown Globe Question - Wed Apr 28 2021 06:14 PM
It's definitely a repop.
Posted By: model72 Re: Red Crown Globe Question - Wed Apr 28 2021 06:58 PM
I am now certain that it is a repro even if it has a 7" base. The paint looks too thick to me and if it was lit up, probably not as translucent as an original.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk