Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: john deere 6430 Need help identifying lubesters - Mon Jan 11 2021 02:06 PM
I bought two lubesters at a sale and am not sure what they are. The red one I think was for oil and has Bennett model 505H301 on it.
The green one was maybe used for kerosene but I can not find any name on it. I may not be looking in the right place.
Can anyone provide any knowledge about these. Thanks

Attached picture lubester3.JPG
Attached picture lubester.jpg
Attached picture lubester1.jpg
Attached picture lubester2.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Mon Jan 11 2021 05:26 PM
I can’t help you ID the green one, but it looks like it’s missing a glass cylinder. You can probably get one at PetroNuts.com
Posted By: cggas Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Mon Jan 11 2021 06:18 PM
They look like barrel pumps. Lubster pumps usually have a flange & bolt to the container?
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Mon Jan 11 2021 08:11 PM
The red one is very common but the green one is not.
I did not know that glass cly drop in barrel pumps existed but it makes sense that they do. Probably had a problem with the glass breaking with these being that they were being moved around all the time and they are prone to falling over when not in use so I would figure that they didn't make them for very long. It's also a early spout design with a lidded drain back tray,,, very cool!
If it were mine, I would restore it before installing a new glass cly. Looks like Quaker State or Sinclair green to me...
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Mon Jan 11 2021 09:21 PM
Do you think it was for oil or kerosene? Do you know how old the red Bennett one would be? Any idea how old the green one is?
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Tue Jan 12 2021 04:10 AM
Dave, I’m not positive it was glass. It just appears to be since that is the only part missing. But you’re right, it doesn’t seem practical that glass would be used on something that’s getting moved around all the time. The cylinder may have been taken for parts for another one as well.

Here is a green Quaker State one (that appears to be for a barrel) and I can’t tell if it’s glass or metal in this picture.

Attached picture A9E27B5E-764B-4BA4-B925-281B306795B7.jpeg
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Tue Jan 12 2021 06:36 AM
I had one of those QS drop in pumps and it was painted metal.
Could be kerosene?? Glass oil bottle metal spouts have a small opening tho.
It is just like this glass cly lubester that I have. Rubber acts as a squeegee on the inside of the glass.

Attached picture DSCF7578.JPG
Attached picture IMG_20201028_230313.jpg
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Tue Jan 12 2021 01:07 PM
I haven't seen a lot of these but have never seen one with the drain back tray and lid. I just wonder how old it is.
Posted By: T-way Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Tue Jan 12 2021 01:24 PM
Drain back tray is for kerosene - as is the small opening on the spout.

The rotating drain back and larger opening in the spout is for oil.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Tue Jan 12 2021 11:14 PM
So would the green one be from the 1930's and the red one 1940's?
Thanks
Posted By: Savinsam Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Thu Jan 14 2021 05:25 PM
Here's one that was green originally. It was very clean but had/has no ID on it.

Attached picture 100_0713.JPG
Posted By: john deere 6430 Re: Need help identifying lubesters - Thu Jan 14 2021 11:52 PM
That is the way mine is. I can't find any kind of number or anything on it. What is the cylinder made of? Mine is missing. Just assuming it was glass.
My cylinder looks like it should be 4 1/4" OD x 7" LG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk