Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jhaas63 Did this Standard sign always come with a flame? - Wed Nov 18 2020 01:17 AM
I’m looking at this Standard sign. The guy who owns it told me that some of these Standard signs came with the flame and others did not. He told me that this one did not. Is it true that not all came with the flame on the top? I figured I would check with the group here...thoughts?

Attached picture DB694383-3C39-478C-B95B-50336A28C316.jpeg
that sign was intended too have the flame,
the flame was part of there logo as the base
for the flame is in the sign .. ... cool
.. ... cool

Attached picture IMG_3879[1].JPG
Attached picture 1stansn2.PNG
Posted By: Jhaas63 Re: Did this Standard sign always come with a flame? - Wed Nov 18 2020 02:26 AM
How hard is it to find the flame?
Posted By: ncgasguy Re: Did this Standard sign always come with a flame? - Wed Nov 18 2020 03:14 AM
They’re not really hard to find but are expensive when they do come up for sale. I think there’s actually one being auctioned off on proxibid this weekend. I’ll try and post a link. You’ll also need to find the flame holder to complete the sign. In my opinion, it’s definitely worth the time and effort to get the globe. It really makes the sign
Posted By: ncgasguy Re: Did this Standard sign always come with a flame? - Wed Nov 18 2020 03:30 AM
Here’s the link for the one on proxibid. This one will need to be painted..

https://www.proxibid.com/Art-Antiqu...e-Globe/lotInformation/57370877#topoflot
Posted By: Jhaas63 Re: Did this Standard sign always come with a flame? - Wed Nov 18 2020 05:08 AM
One other thing I am noticing with this sign pole...I think it was a Texaco sign pole that was cut and formatted and then had welded plates to fit the Standard ring.

Anyone else see this? Where the pole meets the ring, if is not the normal Standard pole...unless I am wrong.
Originally Posted by Jhaas63
One other thing I am noticing with this sign pole...I think it was a Texaco sign pole that was cut and formatted and then had welded plates to fit the Standard ring.

Anyone else see this? Where the pole meets the ring, if is not the normal Standard pole...unless I am wrong.

I would agree with your observation. Most Standard pole supports had the slight curve with the one little ‘step’ in it. The station must’ve changed brands and they improvised.

BTW, I just sold a porcelain flame holder for that style of sign a few months ago, if you want to see what it looks like (they also had different styles on different signs.... glass flame, plastic flame, porcelain flat flame)....

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=129621&Number=746843#Post746843
Yes, that pole has for sure been modified for sure. I have a plastic original flame for mine, they might be somewhat less expensive than
the milk glass version. I would say if you found a decent flame holder and a flame youd be in at about $800-$1200.00. just my opinion
Posted By: Jhaas63 Re: Did this Standard sign always come with a flame? - Wed Nov 18 2020 01:51 PM
In your guys opinion, would the pole being modified negatively affect the value of this piece or not really?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk