Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Oil head 56 Cleaning oil cans - Mon Aug 17 2020 09:28 PM
I know this is the place to get the best answers for cleaning oil cans without destroying them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am new to collecting oil cans and don’t want to go in blind. I see some cans that look dirty and greasy, can they be cleaned up a little? I have a few I would like to enhance and possibly brighten them up somewhat, any suggestions?

Thanks 😎
Posted By: advertologist Re: Cleaning oil cans - Mon Aug 17 2020 09:52 PM
some of the cans you have too be careful especially the early litto cans, most of the early cans its best too leave alone - different cans you have to have a different approach
I find simple green works pretty good, use a soft rag - don't scrub too hard & start with the back of the can in case its going too do any damage
seems too melt the grease & oil off pretty good - you may have too go over it a few times to get it too the desired finish - when you reach this point then wax the can .. ... cool
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Cleaning oil cans - Mon Aug 17 2020 10:11 PM
Using the search bar on the top of this page you'll find a few helpful hints.
Here's one:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=383314
Follow the link on Dick Bennett's post it will give some more opinions.
Posted By: huskybob Re: Cleaning oil cans - Thu Aug 20 2020 05:38 AM
I have had pretty good luck soaking cans in diesel.
Posted By: oletymy Re: Cleaning oil cans - Thu Aug 20 2020 03:32 PM
gojo hand cleaner does wonder {not the pumice type}
Posted By: Alex Re: Cleaning oil cans - Thu Aug 20 2020 03:45 PM
A few drops of Dawn dishwashing soap...as stated...start on the back and don't scrub too hard...I often do a test on the lid, if it has one to see how it does....then start on the sides.....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk