Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Stew King Wayne 492 Floats - Fri May 22 2020 07:57 PM
I am assembling this pump before painting and thought that I had taken good pictures prior to disassembly but that's not to be . My pump has a 6" X 3" cork float on a brass rod in the center of the cylinder that rises when you pump fuel into it . It has a ratchet that drives a counter that must record how many gallons are put in but the 3 sets of #s are so small I don't know how one could read it easily . There are also 2 Brass 2 1/2" floats inside the cylinder . One is connected by a rod to the To Car / To Tank valve , but I can't see where the other one attaches . I have spoken to other collectors with these Wayne pumps but so far nobody has seen this type . Seems pretty redundant when with all other pumps you just read the gallons off of the #s on the cylinder . With these 3 floats inside at the bottom of the cylinder it would displace a fair amount of fuel . Does anyone have a picture or access to an original manual with this type of arrangement ? Thank you , Stew .
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Fri May 22 2020 08:19 PM
Could we see some pictures ?
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Fri May 22 2020 08:52 PM
Sure as soon as I figure out how to post them .
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Fri May 22 2020 09:29 PM
I went through the procedure but when I get to the "Select File it will not accept it " ? So will not send . Could I email it to you ?
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 12:42 AM
Stew I just have never seen what your describing on a Wayne 492 If you do a search there is a description of how to post pictures and I'm sure someone here could help you with the link. If you can't figure it out I will PM you my email .You've got me curious about your pump good luck .
Posted By: petropumps Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 02:34 AM
Yeah, we’re gonna need to see pics...that doesn’t sound like any 492 I’ve ever seen. Foreign model maybe as you’re in Canada?
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 02:18 PM
I have tried everything in the description to send the pictures , with no luck , so if you would PM me that would be great , thank you .
Yes , it is from Canada , I found the pump on a farm bulk station in Alberta , 30 years ago. The brass tag and base doors all say Ft. Wayne , Indiana . It has a 31" cylinder , the same as all Canadian Wayne's for the Imperial gallon and a brass tag on the base that says "Imperial" . Don't know if they were built in Canada or not .
Posted By: Oldgas Moderator Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 02:26 PM
I sent you a PM message about posting photos. I can help. Not hard at all once you get over the hump.

Photo posting:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=703369#Post703369
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 02:57 PM
Here's some of what I was sent.
Ron

Attached picture Float1.gif
Attached picture Float3.gif
Attached picture Float4.gif
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 04:03 PM
Stew, send your pictures to me if needed and I will post.
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 04:19 PM
Thanks Craig , Ron Scobie was able to post the ones I sent him . Stew .
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 05:04 PM
And thank you Ron , I did email you directly
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 05:39 PM
Does anyone know which type of a nozzle would be correct for this pump ?
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sat May 23 2020 07:05 PM
Here's what I make for the Wayne 492.
Ron

Attached picture WayneNozzles.gif
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sun May 24 2020 03:10 AM
Thanks Ron .
Posted By: petropumps Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sun May 24 2020 05:45 AM
That float set up is something I’ve never seen on a visible before...let alone a Roman. I gotta think that’s something someone added either at the station or on the farm. Just my two cents.
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Sun May 24 2020 04:48 PM
I agree , but it is very well made like from the factory , just can't figure why they are there . I know where 1 of the brass float hooks up but the other does not seem to have any function at all ? When they are inside the cylinder it's sure crowded , the cork float and the other just about touch and the brass one binds on it's lever .
Posted By: Stew King Re: Wayne 492 Floats - Tue May 26 2020 01:28 AM
On further inspection it appears that the threaded piece that has the brass "L" shaped bracket in it has a casting # 19926 on it . The rest of the pump has these types of casting #s on pretty well every part . Could it be a factory accessory and why ?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk