Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Douglashwy Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 04:43 AM
Here is a picture of my great grandfather's service station. Am in need of some help identifing the brand. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached picture IMG_20200407_221649_01.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 05:48 AM
It is Larco gasoline, a brand of Veltex gas (originally Fletcher Oil Co.). If your family has any of those globes left, they are worth a decent amount (about $2k to $3k). The pump on the left is a Bowser 557. The pump in the middle looks like a Wayne 40, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps,
-Steve

Here are two pictures of those globes from recent auctions... (I hate to tell you, but one auction was just 2 1/2 weeks ago)

Attached picture larco.JPG
Attached picture larco2.JPG
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 07:19 AM
LARCO, Little America Refining Company. Two refineries in Wyoming. one in Rawlins and one in Casper. Headquarters in Salt Lake City. They own Sinclair Oil. Mitch
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 12:58 PM
Shane I guess "ask and you shall receive" applies to this photo postings as well. Nice to find those old family photos. Great job on the research guys. Thanks Neil
Posted By: Tankar Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 03:08 PM
Nice pic. Funny at the pumps holding a cigar.
Posted By: Stevo Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 04:43 PM
Interesting showcases at each end of the island, it appears they have built in air and water hoses, was the station located in SLC? Is it still standing?
Posted By: Douglashwy Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 08:18 PM
Thanks for the help guys he was murdered at a young age only his brother really knew him my grandfather his son was only 4 or 5. And the brother adopted the kids. I have a building address but was trying to narrow down a state/city my aunt is into the family history so we haven't gotten too far with it. Here is the other picture we have with building number maybe some of you could figure it out. Would like to see what it is today probably a Walmart 😁

Attached picture received_530760111211046.jpeg
Posted By: Douglashwy Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 08:42 PM
I believe it to be somewhere in Washington or Oregon I can see an X on sign on top in very first picture witch leads me to believe it was a veltex station
Posted By: RedHat Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Wed Apr 08 2020 11:04 PM
Very cool too see, best of luck in your continued search
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Fri Apr 10 2020 01:13 AM
Looks like some mid-1930's cars in the background of the first photo. You might want to go through the 1934 to 1938 City Directory or phone books for a few of the larger towns in Utah and Washington, looking for Cal's Service or Cal's Veltex. You can sometimes find access to some of those books online. Also, you're in Salt Lake City....don't the Mormans have some kind of huge universal genealogy data base that they offer for research purposes in SLC? A name and/or birth date might be all you need to get more information about Cal. Good luck. John
Posted By: Douglashwy Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Fri Apr 10 2020 03:15 AM
Thanks for the ideas appreciate it
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Tue Apr 14 2020 07:29 PM
The inground air and water was probably from the Coxwell Co. of California. I wrote an article about them in a recent "Check the Oil" magazine.

Jack Sim
Posted By: veltex Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Mon Mar 08 2021 05:33 AM
Could be Idaho, Oregon, Washington, possible California. Pm me the name, address and any other info and be patient, I might be able to help, if I can figure it out I might also have a picture of the station. Dean
Posted By: coltex Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Fri Mar 12 2021 03:46 AM
You can learn a lot through obituaries. Sometime from people who presided him in death. The will say survived by a son in "_______". Just an idea
Posted By: spencer Re: Great grandfather's gas station help - Fri Mar 12 2021 05:32 AM
"8624" street address in 2nd picture.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk