Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: snakeknuckles gilbarco906-7g restoration - Wed Mar 25 2020 08:12 PM
Hi All: I just joined Petroliana as I have acquired a 906-7g from a farm near mine. I want to restore the thing and be able to use it to pump diesel into my vehicles from my above ground fuel tank. I do not intend to restore it cosmetically but that may change. I just want it to work. I have taken the covers off and have tried to manually rotate the pump that is belted to the motor. It will not turn. the bellcrank switch on the side also does not rotate. It seems like everything is locked up? varnished or rusted? Where do I begin?

Tx

Attached picture download (4).png
Attached picture download (3).png
Attached picture download (4).png
Attached picture download (5).png
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Wed Mar 25 2020 09:49 PM
Gas pump rob has some great videos you tube on getting these old pumps going , great videos
Posted By: Oldgas Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Wed Mar 25 2020 10:20 PM
Look though Gas Pump Rob's posts in the Showcase section to find his videos. They should be helpful.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=600
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sat Mar 28 2020 11:31 AM
So I have perused the videos but did not find much that helps me specifically on what the best way is to disassemble and repair: Like is there a chance I can get this thing to work without major disassembly? Why is the pump so totally locked up? Is it just gummed up with old gas? I will try to fill it with solvent. Should I just take everything apart and start rebuilding each sub assembly? Are there any specific tricks that I should know for repairing each sub assembly. Will I be able to get parts? What about the hose reel? can that be restored? Is there a new hose available? Any help would be appreciated
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sat Mar 28 2020 12:50 PM
Hey Robert,
There is a book PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration by Wayne Henderson & Scott Benjamin. I used it to help me with my first restoration that was very helpful.
Steve
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sat Mar 28 2020 04:04 PM
There is a video where Rob works with one and breaks it loose and gets it running follow him on you tube and you can find it. Vics 66 has parts as does gas pump heaven. Several more that doesn't come to mind. . Breaking it loose may take awhile I'm not a big pump collector so I will say Good Luck.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sat Mar 28 2020 08:15 PM
Yeah you must not have found the correct video from Rob. There are two that I know of where he tells you how to break free a stuck pump and get it going.
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sun Mar 29 2020 05:37 PM
Thanks for the response... Still can't find gaspump rob video that applies but... started cleaning and taking apart today. ( see attached) As I get into it I found one main problem is mouse house in guts of computer. After taking faces off and enclosures for the gears and a little Kroil, I got the reset lever to work and the dials all zeroed out. the pump motor spins free but pump is still locked up. I removed the tube from the outlet and filled with carb cleaner. I've ordered parts book and manual from Vic's.

Attached picture IMG_5476.JPEG
Attached picture IMG_5474.JPEG
Posted By: keithia Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sun Mar 29 2020 11:24 PM
Look under Gas Pump Rob's posts on this site and find the video he posted. He shows exactly how to loosen the pump up and get it running again. There are really no mechanical parts available to fix these pumps. You would need to find someone who gutted one out and get parts from them if needed. I'm guessing yours will work once freed up.
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sun Mar 29 2020 11:38 PM
Roger that: what about the electric motor... It has 2 black wires going into the bottom of the motor casing and a piece of romex going into the middle. Does anyone know the correct connections? Is the motor 120V?

Attached picture IMG_5482.JPEG
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sun Mar 29 2020 11:52 PM
ps: I pulled the pump and have it apart. It is a centrifugal vane pump similar to my Gardner Denver air compressor (1960). The shaft was seized in the inboard bushing and the vanes were stuck but otherwise everything is in pretty good shape. At most I will have to make a thin paper gasket between the pump and housing. The filter side will clean up nicely I think
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Mon Mar 30 2020 04:29 PM
So it looks like line voltage comes in thru the romex with one side going directly to winding and the other side going to switch. The other side of windings is not energized unless there is continuity between the 2 black wires coming out of the bottom of the motor which makes me think the light bulb acts as current limit and these pumps will not function without a light bulb. Is that correct?

Attached picture C097D39F-8118-47E3-94E5-BF6B882B6278.jpeg
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Tue Mar 31 2020 11:47 AM
Update: The white wire on the romex goes thru the winding and the black wire goes to the switch. One of the 2 black wires goes from the switch with 120v to the light bulb, the other comes back into connect the other side of the motor winding. I now have the motor spinning but doesn't seem to have high startup torque... don't know if the start windings are working. I might try switching to 240v
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Wed Apr 01 2020 02:58 PM
I’ve got pump producing head, but motor was not starting without nudging it along. ie the startup winding must not be energizing. After a little more exploration I found the start capacitor hidden in the front motor housing. Have a new one waiting for me at Graingers. I can’t believe the factory used a piece of romex to energize the motor but I don’t see how I can make everything work ( light and motor) without at least 3 conductors coming out of motor. The holes coming out of the lower motor housing that feed into conduit only allow 2 conductors. Does anyone have an old motor they want to come off?
Posted By: Speedracer Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Wed Apr 01 2020 09:31 PM
People gut these all the time. If your patient, someone will reply with a motor.

Contact Tom Buckles on here. I’m sure he probably has one.

-Steve
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Wed Apr 01 2020 10:23 PM
I have several here currently. Just pulled one out of a Gilbarco 900 series. I cut out the copper to resell and sell the casings as scrap iron. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Wed Apr 01 2020 11:03 PM
Another day of quarantine in shop just the pump and me- after trip to grangers for start cap. Installed cap and decided to do away with the romex. Drilled 2 extra holes where wire feeds into conduit at back of motor so now in the junction box are the hot, neutral, and switched hot for light. Everything reassembled. Motor runs good pump develops suction and light works. Next I will test with 5 gal diesel. Don’t think I need motor
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sat Apr 04 2020 01:20 PM
Quarantining with Gilbarco: Now motor and pump are running good. I hooked everything up and put a suction tube in a bucket of diesel and turned her on. Pump develops great head and sprayed fuel everywhere. The meter was stuck and so everything pumped out overflow tube. I pulled the computer off the meter and nudged the meter shaft- it (broke??) loose and when I ran the pump this time fuel flowed to the hose. Now As I pump fuel the meter does not not turn continuously (like one of the pistons is stuck?) I wonder if it will un-stick now that there is diesel everywhere? The computer shaft turns but makes a grinding sound as the 10th's turn? I am now running parts washer solvent (safety clean) through the computer to clean all remaining mouse house out of it. I hope it will free it up. Any suggestions on rebuilding the meter or not?
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sat Apr 04 2020 08:05 PM
Hi Paul: do you have meter assembly? I need the gears that drive the computer at least but I’ll take the whole meter if you got. Tx

Attached picture A6068AC5-BBF4-477B-8AC8-0C497B9DB9D2.jpeg
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Fri Apr 10 2020 10:04 PM
Thank you Paul for the meter! I took just the gear set off and installed on my meter. Meanwhile I thoroughly cleaned and lubed the computer. ( I took the base gears of the dial assembly). I found that the totalizer wheels were locked up which was jamming the computer which broke the meter pinion gear... Now everything is assembled and I have been pumped over 100 gal of diesel fuel through the unit. Everything seems to work (including the gallons totalizer). I am now almost ready to put the thing all back together and put it back in service at the farm. I have a few questions:
1) Anybody know what the little balls are made of in the site glass? Where can I get some?
2) I am going to install a filter inside the unit and connect it to between the meter outlet and the visible discharge assembly. I'd like to plumb it with 7/8" copper tubing and flare connections similar to the pump discharge line. Should I use soft copper?
3) Why do I get substantial fuel coming out of the vent tube of the sump? If flow out that line is normal, I might send it back to the tank.
4) I would like to mount the pump on the side of the driveway opposite the building where my above ground fuel tank is located. If I connect to that tank I will run about 50' of pipe under the driveway and then connect to the top of the tank. Is 50' of 1 1/2" horizontal too much head? can I reduce to 1"?

Tx
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Thu Apr 23 2020 02:35 AM
Almost ready for final assembly: installed filter:

Attached picture 50552C19-DB14-4672-8834-776C7A36C068.jpeg
Posted By: snakeknuckles Re: gilbarco906-7g restoration - Sat May 09 2020 07:25 PM
Doing a final wet test before final assembly: minor leak at meter outlet- simple fix since I replaced the hard pipe with flex to filter...

Only one other problem I need help with- when I reset the computer, the dials on the totalizer side zero out correctly but the opposite side zeroes everything but tens of gallons. That dial increments 1 digit at each reset. I’ve got the computer back on the bench and do not see anything that looks broken... Can somebody advise me on this? It is not a big deal as I plan to install the pump where it will only be accessed from one side, but if the fix is simple I will do before final reassembly.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk