Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: AJ68 Displaying maps - Sat Feb 15 2020 03:48 PM
Looking for some ideas and suggestions on how to display my maps. Too many nice graphics to keep them in a book or box

Pictures appreciated

Thanks
AJ
Posted By: Jamie P Re: Displaying maps - Sat Feb 15 2020 08:33 PM
get some map racks to display how they originally were offered
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Displaying maps - Sat Feb 15 2020 09:31 PM
I have about 15 or so Michigan Sunoco maps. Like 1933-1950 something. I do plan to figure out a nice framed wall hanging one of these days.
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Displaying maps - Sat Feb 15 2020 09:58 PM
This is my only map display. I was worried about the maps deteriorating so I wrapped them in plastic.

Attached picture FBC699EF-AE1C-482F-B1FE-F447BA4C2BC2.jpeg
Posted By: RedHat Re: Displaying maps - Sun Feb 16 2020 02:15 AM
I display mine a bunch of different ways. Some are in fresh plastic sleeves and nailed to the wall with a small inch nail if they are only single panel graphics, others with multi panel graphics get appropriate frames. The three panel graphic maps (the size that the majority from the 30s-50s were) have a perfect sized frame you can grab at Walmart (11”x8” maybe?). Others still I have on stands among cans with the rest either in racks or laying flat amongst a display. Both my racks were standing brochure displays from a pharmacy that closed down, you can usually find them relatively cheap (under $35).
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: Displaying maps - Thu Feb 20 2020 02:18 PM
I have some in original map holders, others I have displayed in a large frame. Have an old map as the background.
Chuck

Attached picture 21 Maps in frame.jpg
Posted By: Rocadog Re: Displaying maps - Thu Feb 20 2020 05:05 PM
That’s a nice presentation - how did you attach the maps so they keep that nice curve?
Posted By: Gaspedler Re: Displaying maps - Fri Feb 21 2020 02:57 PM
Just pressure from the glass and thick cardboard back, added a few extra nails around the back edge for firmness. Nothing else. (edit) this frame was metal and added some thin metal strips, I have a wooden one also.
Posted By: Rocadog Re: Displaying maps - Sat Feb 22 2020 12:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback,Chuck...I think I’ll try it with some of my maps!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk