Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Lonewolf54 Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Tue Dec 31 2019 06:28 PM
On the Tokheim model 39 L-RP, the ad glass opening in the door is not recessed like the clock glass is yet it uses the same weatherstrip. This means that the ad glass would either protrude slightly from the door skin or be recessed slightly behind the door skin. According to the maintenance manual, it installs the same way as the clock glass which has it protruding. I installed them this way but I am curious if anyone thinks this is wrong and they should be recessed.

Attached picture Tokheim 39 Ad Glass.JPG
Posted By: Blair Underwood Re: Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Wed Jan 01 2020 04:29 PM
You have it on the out side instead of inside.
Posted By: Lonewolf54 Re: Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Wed Jan 01 2020 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Blair Underwood
You have it on the out side instead of inside.

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying it should be mounted so it sits behind the door skin towards the inside. May I ask what you are basing this on? Are you sure it is in backwards or do you just like the look better the other way? The manual shows it the way I have it and my original seal looks more weathered on the large side which indicated to me I have it correct. I would just hate to remove it and find out I had it right to begin with. Anyone else definitely know it goes the other way? Personally, I thought a standard "H" type weatherstrip would be best for the ad glass and would put the glass in line with the door skin and not on either side of it but everything I saw showed the same weatherstrip for the ad glass and the main computer window.
Posted By: cggas Re: Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Wed Jan 01 2020 08:59 PM

I don’t know which weather strip u need, but the way you have it is wrong. It should be flush, or slightly recessed to the inside.
Posted By: keithia Re: Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Wed Jan 01 2020 09:53 PM
Wrong side as stated. Never seen it mounted like that.
Posted By: trapper Re: Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Wed Jan 01 2020 11:52 PM
Wolf, glad you brought this up. I am currently working on same pump door. I haven't ordered ad glass yet, but watching the opinions. thx
Posted By: Lonewolf54 Re: Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Thu Jan 02 2020 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by cggas

I don’t know which weather strip u need, but the way you have it is wrong. It should be flush, or slightly recessed to the inside.

OK, but using the original w/s, it cannot be flush like i thought it might be unless I use a custom w/s. If I turn it around, it will be as recessed to the back side as it is now protuding from the front side. It might look as strange that way as it looks now. Perhaps someone who has restored a Tokheim Model 39 short with the ad glass can tell me what w/s I need to buy to make it flush.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Thu Jan 02 2020 06:47 AM
Doug,

It won’t be flush. It looks like you have the correct rubber too. If it is ‘S’ shaped window trim, you just have it on wrong. You have the ad glass where the metal should be and the metal where the ad glass should be. In other words the rubber is facing out the correct way, you just need to take the glass out, move the rubber back one ‘notch’ and put the add glass in the back (recessed in). You will have to flip the rubber around so the grooves are correct, but keep the the rubber facing the same way (large curvy part towards the outside of the pump). It actually works both ways, but the larger side out looks better and is the way it was done back in the day.

-Steve

Attached picture 6D2EFB94-5CD8-4C55-801D-043A38ECB41E.jpeg
Attached picture 81F8244F-6D7C-4A10-A2F2-1AEF1E403D19.jpeg
Posted By: Lonewolf54 Re: Tokheim 39 Ad Glass - Thu Jan 02 2020 05:15 PM
OK, I am convinced that I had it on backwards. If there is a 50/50 chance to get something right, you know which way I always seem to go. Here is a picture of the pump with the ad glass reversed.

Attached picture Tokheim Sinclair2.jpg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk