Posted By: minuteman Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 12:17 AM
I have had Erie 50 and 53’s. Not too sure what
an Erie 51s should look like. Got this from Jacks
Website and asked but no answer there.
Anyone here have one or seen one?
Thanks

Attached picture AA6C8182-4F0D-4B9C-985C-BBAE285E4AEC.jpeg
Posted By: Restore-Pumps Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 01:55 AM
Yes. I restored a Erie 50-S for a customer years ago.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 02:47 AM
Does the S stand for showcase?
Have you seen anything in terms of a brochure??
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 03:19 AM
Here is a 51s and 52s

Attached picture erie51specs.jpg
Attached picture erie 52info-5.JPG
Posted By: minuteman Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 03:41 AM
Amazing, thank you!!! Need to find one of those....
Posted By: Restore-Pumps Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 03:52 AM
The one I restored is no at the Heritage Park Museum in Calgary CA.
Posted By: RMikita Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 03:55 AM
Wow! Now THAT is something.
Posted By: Restore-Pumps Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 04:17 AM
Enclosed are a couple pictures of the Erie 50-S that I restored.

Attached picture IMG_2530.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2392.jpg
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 04:19 AM
They look great.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 04:38 AM
Seen those in person...
But by the brochure you restored a model 51S not a cash recorder model 50.
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 04:51 AM
Miles Little just sold one of those a few months ago.
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 05:06 AM
Beautiful Line up of pumps but wow that 50S!! New ultimate goal for a gas pump for me!
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Erie 51s ???? - Fri Dec 20 2019 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave
Beautiful Line up of pumps but wow that 50S!! New ultimate goal for a gas pump for me!

As it is for all of us Dave.
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Erie 51s ???? - Sat Dec 21 2019 05:49 PM
You know, I always look at those old brochures and sales ads from years ago and marvel at the prices. When I looked at this it got me to thinking about inflation and todays prices and what that pump would cost if sold now. So I googled inflation change and there is a website that has a calculator to put in a price from 1913-2019 and it converts it to todays value of the item from back then. According to that calculator, $210 would now be $3942.60. A modern gas pump today costs at least ten times that. I suppose if an exact duplicate of the pump were made today in volume with todays technology it might be able to go to market for $4000 but it would be a very inefficient pump by todays standards without digital readouts, credit card swipers, and other modern inhancements. That being said, I still have a hard time believing that something that intricate and well built could be sold today for anywhere close to $4000. Somewhere along the line we have became a society of acceptance, meaning that we will just pony up whatever some company says the price of an item is, not that it doesn't cost a fortune to produce goods nowadays. I really don't know the point of this post other than pointing out my opinion that cool stuff nowadays is just not hardly worth the cost we have to pay for it. And even worse, the stuff we do have to pay through the nose for just really doesn't seem to be that cool. Wow, I guess I am really getting old and cynical.....GB
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Erie 51s ???? - Sat Dec 21 2019 08:12 PM
Example the automobile industry.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Erie 51s ???? - Sun Dec 22 2019 12:35 AM
Exactly the same deal Jack. I remember when my dad bought a brand new Dodge pickup in 1968 for $1800. Using the same calculator that number would be $14,000 now. I haven't seen too many new pickups on the market for $14,000 lately....
Posted By: keithia Re: Erie 51s ???? - Sun Dec 22 2019 01:46 AM
...so what that is saying that if Dodge built that "exact" same truck today it would cost $14,000. However, now add on all the upgrades, new electronics, safety features, ect you get today's trucks and todays prices. I would want todays truck for my daily driver and the old truck for a fun vehicle although it would be a Ford not a Dodge. Now I get your point though but trucks are not even close to the same as they were in 1968.
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Erie 51s ???? - Sun Dec 22 2019 02:12 AM
Yes but todays truck will go 3 to 4 times longer than the 68 model. have all the safety features, razoo instument panel with GPS all the cameras in the world, auto this auto that climate control electric everything, real brakes and tires etc etc etc. I think today given the chance to get a truck with only the features your dad got not many would sell for 14K
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Erie 51s ???? - Sun Dec 22 2019 05:42 AM
I totally agree it’s not an apples to apples comparison by any means. I guess the fact that we’ve all become so addicted to the luxuries today that we forget why everything does cost so much compared to those days. That 68 Dodge was a slant six, three on the tree, with no ac or even carpet! Shoot you couldn’t even market the same vehicle now because of epa standards, safety standards, and a host of other things. Most of that is good I suppose. If you’d told me forty years ago that I could buy a 4WD pickup that would get 19 mpg and run 200,000 miles I would’ve laughed at you. Even at today’s prices that brings the two a little closer to the same value. If gas was still 21 cents....
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Erie 51s ???? - Sun Dec 22 2019 06:00 AM
Ive got 473K miles on my 05 Dodge, paid 33K for it new and i have done little to keep it going. Still going strong and still gets 18 mpg. The starter and alternator both went over 400k! had to replace about 4 each in the 69 dodge. I had that got 11 0r 12 with a 318 and was basically shot at 150K miles, Fenders rusted right off. motor shot..........& now we gota pay 14K for an old Erie gas pump thats shot! (I think a lot of us would) Huh why are we complaining? Lol
Posted By: TN Volunteer Re: Erie 51s ???? - Mon Dec 23 2019 09:05 AM
So if we are going to compare prices of then and now, we should look at miles traveled to and from work, vacation, running around for errands then and now; should also compare wages then and now and which vehicle is a better deal then and now, cost of repair of same vehicle then and now, i.e. cost of alternator, water pump, wheel bearings, general maintenance. Vehicles were simple work on back then and folks had the time to do a lot of the work themselves. Some folks have the ability to fix some of the issues, but do folks have the time and energy as back then. Computers and sensors have really driven up the cost of fixing vehicles. Also we travel longer and further for the above said activities generally speaking. Short distance driving is much harder on vehicles than longer distance driving.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk