Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: RedHat eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Sun Dec 15 2019 02:16 AM
I believe I had asked on FB the last time one of these popped up on eBay, the consensus was a fake. Seeing another pop up, I figured I’d ask here. Thoughts?

Attached picture 26573B98-C6AA-4395-B469-BDDBDAAE85BC.jpeg
Posted By: advertologist Re: eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Sun Dec 15 2019 03:36 AM
.. ... cool

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=184071132886
Posted By: Tankar Re: eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Sun Dec 15 2019 05:09 PM
I call it fake.
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Sun Dec 15 2019 05:21 PM
along with all the others hes selling
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Sun Dec 15 2019 07:44 PM
One on fleabay is real. I don't see any fakes from that seller.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Sun Dec 15 2019 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by MetroPetro

I tend to agree with Metro. The printing looks good, the seams look good, all the other markings look good.

I'm not an expert on these handy oilers, but what makes some of you guys think they are fake?

And just an FYI, that particular Mohawk brand is NOT the same as the Mohawk brand out of Bakersfield, California (like the logo in my avatar pic).
Posted By: coopersplace Re: eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Sun Dec 15 2019 11:54 PM
I have been watching this seller for the last couple of months. He is selling off a very large collection of oilers. All that I have seen so far look legit. I have no knowledge of the Mohawk but he is offering to take it back for a full refund if dissatisfied.
Posted By: advertologist Re: eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Mon Dec 16 2019 12:03 AM

hammer down: 292.05 .. ... cool

sounds like a pretty good guarantee,

THIS CAN IS IN GREAT SHAPE ! ALL OF THESE CANS I'VE BEEN SELLING ARE OUT OF MY OWN COLLECTION OF 32 YEARS - ( IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH CAN FOR ANY REASON , SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND ) THIS CAN IS

AUTHENTIC
Posted By: RedHat Re: eBay Mohawk Paper Label Handy Oiler - Mon Dec 16 2019 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by Speedracer

I tend to agree with Metro. The printing looks good, the seams look good, all the other markings look good.

I'm not an expert on these handy oilers, but what makes some of you guys think they are fake?

And just an FYI, that particular Mohawk brand is NOT the same as the Mohawk brand out of Bakersfield, California (like the logo in my avatar pic).

Yeah, this the New Jersey company (Mohawk Refining Corp of Newark). Same logo on their other cans along with the tomahawk ones. I collect the company, wherein lies my interest, but have been repeatedly scared off from these because of the split consensus. It seems there is as many long-timers that think it’s the real deal as there is those that think it’s fake. Bummer, I’d love to add one if there could ever be a confirmation (photo, other records, etc.). I appreciate the discussion and everyone’s input, fingers crossed someday it can be put to bed.

Attached picture 6280007F-8D54-4E9D-8FC0-0962AFF5E90A.jpeg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk