Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: FishGas Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Fri Nov 15 2019 03:59 PM
Probably pushing blasphemy with this question but is there anywhere to get Acrylic/Plastic Globe "Glass". Really brutal hail in North Texas and I have a pump I want to have outside. Steel Ring will be the on the docket (personally can't stand the plastic rings) but I'm thinking a more durable plastic advert. "glass" might be less likely to get roached with hail.

Thx
Posted By: T-way Re: Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Fri Nov 15 2019 04:44 PM
Gas Pump Heaven has some acrylic lenses, but you have to buy a complete globe.
Posted By: FishGas Re: Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Fri Nov 15 2019 08:41 PM
Ahh.. Looks like the 15" "special ones" are polymer. Didn't' catch that. Thx.
Posted By: T-way Re: Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Fri Nov 15 2019 08:50 PM
But you're only going to get about 6 - 8 years out of an acrylics lens out in the weather.

They will fade and get brittle in the heat and cold.

Glass is less expensive and will last 100 years barring any weather catastrophes.
Posted By: FishGas Re: Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Sun Nov 17 2019 11:26 PM
Yea Ive been considering that. Looks like a set of glass runs $60 ish. I'll likely engineer some kinda pillow case hail protection to toss on it. Hail tends to give us "some" warning. Thanks for the insight.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Mon Nov 18 2019 03:25 AM
You can try some of that automotive clear bra that some people put on their cars to protect from rock chips. Even if the hail manages to crack it with the clear bra plastic film it will hold it together.
Posted By: FishGas Re: Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Thu Nov 21 2019 08:59 PM
Excellent idea!
Posted By: AndyVH1959 Re: Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Sat Nov 23 2019 01:01 PM
I plan to go the clear glass lens in a steel or aluminum ring, and then have a local auto graphics place make the "wrap" brand to apply over the clear glass. Light should show through the vinyl wrap and perhaps add some durability to the glass.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Acrylic Globe "glass"? - Sat Nov 23 2019 06:17 PM
Andy,

If you live in Green Bay, and plan on using a repop 13.5" globe, I wouldn't worry about it breaking that much (if at all). If a single repop 13.5" lens breaks, it is $35 to replace it (If you use a 15" globe it will be $60 to replace a lens). They don't break that often, if at all (and it's usually human error). These pumps have been out in the elements in most all states with real and repop globes for years, and they are usually very durable. I think for a pump in Wisconsin it seems like you are going through a lot of trouble for a repop lens (unless you want something made special). By the time you buy clear glass and have a wrap designed and purchased, you probably could have bought 4 lenses and have two on reserve (but I doubt you would barely ever need to replace them).

This is just my two cents, if you are going with a repop lens.
-Steve
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk