Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Super51 Martin Schwartz Model 70 Help - Fri May 31 2019 11:24 AM
Hello All,
I recently purchased a Martin & Schwartz Model 70 Series 2 Gas pump. I don't plan on doing a full restoration at this time but, I do want to spruce it up a bit. I am having a difficult time finding any pictures of this model to use as a basic template for the trim pieces it is missing. The best I can tell is that I need the upper and lower door spears. However, there are additional pre-stamped holes below each corner of the site glass trim. I would value any input as to what these pre-stamped holes would have been used for.
Thanks.

Attached picture IMG_20190530_090828352.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20190530_204130516.jpg
Posted By: Oldgas Moderator Re: Martin Schwartz Model 70 Help - Fri May 31 2019 01:27 PM
You can find gas pump photos by clicking on "Pictures" near the top of this page. Then navigate to the pump company or gas brand you want.

Or click on this link to go to the Martin & Schwartz computing pump photo album:
http://www.gaspumps.info/gas-pumps/electric-computing-gas-pumps/electric-computing-gas-pumps-2/
Posted By: Super51 Re: Martin Schwartz Model 70 Help - Fri May 31 2019 10:19 PM
Thank you for the photo page referral. I did review all the pictures before I made the post. There are a few MS 70's shown however, the pictures do not open as full size and allow you to zoom in for detail like I was hoping to see. In the meanwhile, I'll keep digging.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Martin Schwartz Model 70 Help - Sat Jun 01 2019 03:21 AM
There is two styles of spear trim. The early style is made up of single pieces of trim side by side. That is what all the holes are for. The later style is one piece and it covers all the holes. The early and later doors have the same amount of holes. Yours is the later style and would have had the one piece. I can tell yours is the later style by the stainless face bezel trim. Ron Scobie has the later style that looks like the originals.

Attached picture 70 04.jpg
Attached picture 101_6237 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: Super51 Re: Martin Schwartz Model 70 Help - Sat Jun 01 2019 12:18 PM
Great photos Matt! I have been in contact with Ron about the pieces he has available. I will go with those. They will spruce up the looks of the pump very well. I won't worry about the other pre-stamped holes for now. When I get the pump set up, I'll post a picture of it or email something that Oldgas can use to add to the photo album if he would like. Thanks.
Posted By: Super51 Re: Martin Schwartz Model 70 Help - Mon Jun 10 2019 01:58 AM
Hello again to all,
With some great offline support, I have learned a ton of great info. I received Ron Scobies aftermarket pieces and sized them up. With the doors on this pump, It appears they are very "general purpose". They accept both the upper and lower spear trim without the Mobilgas badge. However, the mystery holes turn out to fit the Mobilgas badge perfectly without the upper door spear in place. I currently have chosen to place the badge at the top as opposed the upper spear. Maybe in the future I'll change my mind and drill new holes to mount the badge near the middle and include the upper door spear.
Thanks.

Attached picture IMG_20190609_165207430.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20190609_165143650.jpg
Posted By: Super51 Re: Martin Schwartz Model 70 Help - Sun Jun 16 2019 01:56 AM
You can see that the paint is not original. The globe, badge and, Spears are aftermarket. Still, she stands tall and proud.[img]http://[/img]

Attached picture Untitled.png
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk