Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: twins penn-o-lene sign - Mon Apr 01 2019 10:16 PM
new member here, first post. I have a old sign I found in a garage, looking for some information on it. The sign is 48x36, Penn-o-lene straight gas, yellow background with blue letters. It looks like the attached picture. Can anyone tell me anything about the company or the sign- age, is it a common sign, valuable? I haven't been able to find much of anything on it. thank you

Attached picture 57584240661__1A266078-84B8-4271-8F9D-577764E552AE.JPG
Posted By: minuteman Re: penn-o-lene sign - Mon Apr 01 2019 10:31 PM
Why wouldn’t you put up the picture of the sign you found instead of one off internet?
Can’t give values if you can’t post a picture
Posted By: twins Re: penn-o-lene sign - Mon Apr 01 2019 11:14 PM
I wasn’t near the sign for the original post. Here it is

Attached picture A830B817-EB99-4CCD-A052-F9D0D23BC3F0.jpeg
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: penn-o-lene sign - Mon Apr 01 2019 11:27 PM
Great looking sign but I am not very familiar with this certain sign, so I will leave the information part to someone else. As far as valuable??--all of these gas & oil signs have some sort of value but there is no daily market statistics to draw from. Like any collectible, its worth as much as you can get the next person to give you for it.
Posted By: minuteman Re: penn-o-lene sign - Mon Apr 01 2019 11:28 PM
The internet one is porcelain, yours looks to be painted metal but is in nice condition
At least the side showing is. I believe the company was out of Baltimore Maryland. You never see much Penn o lene come up for sale so values would be just a rough guess but I would think in the 1500 range.
Posted By: twins Re: penn-o-lene sign - Mon Apr 01 2019 11:54 PM
Thanks. This one is double sided, the other side looks close to this side, maybe a few more scratches. I don't know if it is porcelain or painted metal, but the top two holes are in the same place as the internet one, the bottom right hole must have been drilled later, the bottom left has no hole the sign is just resting on it.

I saw some references to pennolene in Colby Kansas from 1921 in the Petroleum annual book(online) , some advertisements in a Frederick Md newspaper from the early 30's. Be nice to learn some more about it.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: penn-o-lene sign - Tue Apr 02 2019 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by minuteman
The internet one is porcelain, yours looks to be painted metal but is in nice condition

His might be porcelain. If you zoom in on the hit on the bottom left border, by the 'S', it has some other color behind it. So does the top left and top right screw chip. And there are some striations in the bottom right screw hole. But I completely understand where your coming from Minuteman, hard to tell because the hits at the top center and the left side, in addition to the texture and dullness, make it look like painted metal. Just need someone to check it out in person since he isn’t sure how to tell the difference.

Cool sign either way.

-Steve
Posted By: aviojnd Re: penn-o-lene sign - Tue Apr 02 2019 02:54 AM
I have a square oil that says pennolene Sioux falls sd it is green in color and black lettering I belive its from teens or twentys
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk