Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: K W FRITH Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 08:26 PM
I have agreed to the purchase of a very expensive gas pump located in the middle of California, and I am at odds on how to get it paid for? This pump is not in the hands of a collector and is supposedly being sold to settle an estate? Also, as far as I know, there haven't even been any local collectors that have ever seen this pump either? From what I know, I believe the pump truly exists and is located in a small town near San Francisco.
My problem exists when I start thinking of how to get this pump paid for? I can certainly have it shipped using North American Van Lines, but I am not about to wire funds or send a check to someone I have never met and have no knowledge of? My best shot would be to hire someone, another collector, that lives near San Francisco, to go and physically get the pump and I could have NAVL pick it up at their place. Problem is, I don't know who lives close to that area. Are there any volunteers from the San Francisco area, or does anyone have a better suggestion for me? If it didn't cost so much, I wouldn't be so worried and cautious, but better to be safe than sorry!
Posted By: marky Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 08:42 PM
fly out get it done
marky
Posted By: Done4 Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 09:19 PM
Man, that’s a tough one. I would try to hook up with an old gaser to help confirm and secure the pump.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 10:02 PM
Wow ! A Roman has surfaced !
option 1
You have to have a little faith, or get on that plane
option 2 .
You could hire a hauler and when its loaded have them shoot you a pic ,then you wire money.Of course hauling will,charge you for idle wait time.
option 3
I would have probably just left this morning with trailer in tow.
Good Luck!
Posted By: yeley101 Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 10:14 PM
Kevin, in these situations, sometimes you just gotta go make it happen! As you know, things like this can be very time sensitive. I am with marky.....get on a plane and go before it is gone.
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 10:42 PM
Hook your trailer up and go get it!!! I am sure you have done it before. That's the fun of it Kevin
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 10:44 PM
Kevin, In my humble opinion, I'd do the road trip with the trailer. Cash and carry works best. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 10:51 PM
Hey Kevin it has been my experience that when there is a death and an estate there are attorneys representing family members or at least assisting them wade through the estate paperwork. If you can work through an attorney on that end, you may feel more comfortable.
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 11:30 PM
3,500 miles round trip is a long way to pull a trailer for something that's not guaranteed. I agree with Kevin about hiring another collector to go check it out.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Pump Payment help! - Mon Mar 11 2019 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Coops 427
3,500 miles round trip is a long way to pull a trailer for something that's not guaranteed. I agree with Kevin about hiring another collector to go check it out.

sounds like the most logical idea of the suggestions, the easiest & one I'd prefer .. ... cool
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 12:14 AM
If it is the pump I think it is I noticed it is still listed. Nice pump, would love to have it but out of my price range. If it is it, it is 2 to 2 1/2 hours from me.
Posted By: Tankar Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 12:15 AM
I agree with someone closer to check it out. stuff goes south quick sometimes
Posted By: Morgan Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 12:22 AM
fly out, scope it out, rent a van one way and haul it home.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 12:34 AM
For what it's worth my opinion is.......trust no one, fly out and inspect yourself and secure it. Especially if a lot of money is on the line.
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 12:37 AM
A small uhaul is awful cheap!
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 01:58 AM
Get on the plane Kevin!!!!!
Posted By: keithia Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 02:02 AM
Go get it in person!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 03:18 AM
Looks like the whole deal went sour already. There was more than one brother handling this estate and it looks like I was working with the wrong one! I was told that I had purchased the Wayne 800 this morning and I relayed back that I would make payment and pickup arrangements and get back with him in the next two days. I was able to connect with someone that lived a short distance away and found out that he had already picked up and paid for the pumps. He was shocked to hear that I had been told that I was the designated buyer, and apologized to me. I told him that I didn't need an apology from him, but indeed from the seller!
This was one of those situations that we have no control over and any heroic effort on my part would have just cost me a lot of money for nothing. I am aware that flying out and securing the deal quietly, would have been the best, but I was trying to beat that timeline by finding someone to close it for me. As collectors, when we are dealing with random sellers that have no knowledge or connection to an item, we have to be both cautious and expedient in these transactions because of the greed within the human race. There could even be others out there that believe they bought this pump and have forwarded funds for the purchase? Who knows? Its a situation where we will possibly never know, but I'm happy that a collector bought the pumps, even if it wasn't me. Someone had to come out on the short end of the stick and I guess it was my turn.
I'm very grateful for all of the advice and offers of help that came forth. It was very gratifying to know that there were so many collectors out there that care what happens to others, and that's the way it should be. Thanks to all--KEVIN
Posted By: petropumps Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 03:41 AM
This is funny...I called on those pumps this evening before I read any of this stuff and was told they were, indeed, “spoken for” but not yet picked up...this was about 6:30pm west coast time. Hope someone’s not getting taken advantage of.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 12:57 PM
Been through this, and it is tough because of all the things listed above. If you have air miles use them, if not buy the ticket, uber or cab to the location or have them pick u up. Make the judgement, secure the pump, and have the shipping company pick it up. Do not pay the total amount till it is picked up. If it is an expensive pump, then either you just saved your self some money or spent money wisely to get your new item.
Posted By: cormy Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 02:06 PM
Estate sales can be very tricky since there are usually multiple family members involved along with attorneys. The family members usually have their own ideas as to what is going to be sold, what is going to be kept and to whom.

Side deals end up being made and then revoked once the deal is uncovered by other members...

It can get very ugly, time consuming and expensive for all involved...
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 03:29 PM
So let's see this pump as you said you did not get it. I am sure we would all like to see it.
Posted By: petropumps Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 03:48 PM
Here they are.

Attached picture F5A4DE3E-049C-4129-B4CE-4FF4262D5B40.jpeg
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 07:28 PM
As this story unravels, it was indeed some conflict within the family and the closest buyer was able to get over there and get the pumps transported away. I knew it was a tenuous situation and that I probably didn't have the time to fly out to the area and get things secured. It ended up that it would have been a waste of time and money in this situation. Its really bad when you supposedly get a deal done and another family member is already headed in another direction with the whole deal. If I had been within 2 hours of the location, I could have gotten there in time, but it was not meant to be!
I feel bad that the seller could not honor his commitment, but I have no hard feelings towards the winning buyer. He also was a pawn in this whole scenario and was being used by the selling family. It just so happened that he was only 1/2 hour away and could control the situation as far as he was involved. No harm done, because I still have my funds, and I'm ready for the next deal to come along!
Posted By: Done4 Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the out come. When I first read your post I thought this could go sideways. I’ve experienced this one time and since choose to pass on these situations.

Glad to hear there was no money lost.

Posted By: cormy Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 08:29 PM
I rest my case..
Posted By: Tankar Re: Pump Payment help! - Tue Mar 12 2019 10:00 PM
like I said can go south very quick. That sucks. just had a similar situation happen.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Pump Payment help! - Wed Mar 13 2019 12:05 AM
You might have had to board a Boeing 737 Max 8 too Kevin...meaning you have your life as well. smile
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Pump Payment help! - Wed Mar 13 2019 12:33 AM
Good thoughts their Kevin along with the correct attitude. Sometimes the ball goes your way and sometimes it goes another.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Pump Payment help! - Wed Mar 13 2019 05:37 AM
I recently lost buying two ECO 120 air meters that were out in Calif. I was offered them at a reasonable price, but I had to convince my wife to spend that much money, and second I had to come up with a little money to afford to purchase them, plus, I have been very sick this winter and sometimes I just didn't care what was going on. Well, I got everything together and said I would take them, to find someone was willing to give him a few more dollars than what he offered them to me. I don't feel bad, I should have jumped on them at the beginning.

He who hesitates.......

If you don't know what the 120 ECO air meter is, let me know. I will answer in an other post.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Pump Payment help! - Thu Mar 14 2019 06:16 AM
Feels very similiar to buying a car. Need to be there with cash in hand and take it away is by far best. In all fairness to the seller, I've seen lots of people say they'll buy and don't. Just hold for me, done deal! Then dont show. With an estate sale, Id assume all sales are just talk until money exchanged.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk