Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: RedHat Socony Vacuum WWII Shipping Casualties - Thu Mar 07 2019 03:37 PM
I accidentally stumbled across this page when researching the Vaclite brand of the Vacuum Oil Company. I’ve never seen a list like it and thought some of the history buffs might find some interest in it.

Attached picture E55F72D5-22AE-41AC-8AA8-A24218175EB2.jpeg
Posted By: Morgan Re: Socony Vacuum WWII Shipping Casualties - Thu Mar 07 2019 06:13 PM
Thanks, that's interesting. That's a lot of ships for one company. Wonder what the total for all non military ships would be.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Socony Vacuum WWII Shipping Casualties - Fri Mar 08 2019 12:52 AM
That is amazing that so many ships were sunk/damaged from ONE company. I understand the tactic, but never would’ve guessed it was that high. Like Morgan said, I wonder what the total non-military count is.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Socony Vacuum WWII Shipping Casualties - Fri Mar 08 2019 01:02 AM
I have issues of Socony-Vacuum News from the war years......they report on every one of these losses. As I'm sure you can guess from the size of this list, the number of dead from these ships lost or severely damaged was quite high as well.
Darin
Posted By: RedHat Re: Socony Vacuum WWII Shipping Casualties - Fri Mar 08 2019 03:54 AM
Glad you guys find it interesting, had to have been a hell of a time to just be doing your job. Sadly, once the US joined the war, it was open season on civilian crafts that could be aiding the war effort. Hearing the stories from my grandmother of seeing u-boats off the coast of NJ and having to keep all lights off after dark for fear of being targeted (they lived on the beach) was always eerie. I’m pretty sure she was able to see the smoke rising up from ships torpedoed only a few miles off shore.
Posted By: Dakar09 Re: Socony Vacuum WWII Shipping Casualties - Mon Mar 11 2019 02:57 PM
This is fascinating. As a WWII buff, this isn't something you would think about, but it really reinforces just how many civilian ships and personnel also sacrificed for the war effort.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk