Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BeardBros Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Sun Mar 03 2019 02:10 PM
Has anyone seen this particular globe logo design? I cannot find any that are exactly like it, original or fake. This one looks like an authentic piece to me.

Attached picture IMG_1sddd382.jpg
Posted By: BeardBros Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 04 2019 05:48 PM
Here is a picture.

Attached picture IMG_1sddd382.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1eeded384 (Copy).jpg
Attached picture IMGeded_1383 (Copy).jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 04 2019 06:15 PM
It’s hard to tell from the picture. Is that a 15” lense or 13.5”? Does the metal base happen to have “Shell Oil Co” embossed on it?

I believe that lense was only made in a 15”

Also, a couple pictures of the inside would help in verification.

However, I hate to break it to you, but the bottom of the shell only matches reproductions and not the original listed in the globe CD.

I’ve never seen the bottom of a Shell logo look like that. It looks all wrong. However I am not a globe expert. You may want to talk to Scott Benjamin or Wayne Henderson, just in case.

By the way, that globe is reproduced in both sizes.

-Steve
Posted By: RandyM Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 04 2019 06:17 PM
Here is a link to a reproduction,

https://www.gaspumpheaven.com/shop/product.php?productid=17905&cat=366&page=1
Posted By: minuteman Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 04 2019 06:32 PM
show pictures of the backside of the lenses, save you some time
Posted By: T-way Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 04 2019 08:38 PM
IMHO - pure unmarked fantasy lenses.

New glass.

No wear-n-tear for (supposedly) 50+ year old lenses.

Don't match any designs shown in any of the globe books or the globe CD.

Jim
Posted By: BeardBros Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 04 2019 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Speedracer
It’s hard to tell from the picture. Is that a 15” lense or 13.5”? Does the metal base happen to have “Shell Oil Co” embossed on it?

I believe that lense was only made in a 15”

Also, a couple pictures of the inside would help in verification.

However, I hate to break it to you, but the bottom of the shell only matches reproductions and not the original listed in the globe CD.

I’ve never seen the bottom of a Shell logo look like that. It looks all wrong. However I am not a globe expert. You may want to talk to Scott Benjamin or Wayne Henderson, just in case.

By the way, that globe is reproduced in both sizes.

-Steve

They are 15" glass lenses and the metal base does not have any markings stamped into it. Here are some more pics.

Attached picture IMG_1435[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_1436[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_1437[1].JPG
Posted By: minuteman Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 04 2019 09:30 PM
IMO they are not old...
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Tue Mar 05 2019 12:06 AM
...looks like the lenses are different? Like one pectin is backed with white, and one isn't?
Posted By: Morgan Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Tue Mar 05 2019 12:59 AM
There was some unmarked ones came out of Canada many years ago. I have these boxed away somewhere. Looks same to me. If I remember, the big difference in these and originals is the red and yellow are reversed.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BeardBros Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Tue Mar 05 2019 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by gulfiend!
...looks like the lenses are different? Like one pectin is backed with white, and one isn't?

They are the same, one is with a camera flash and the other is not.
Posted By: BeardBros Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Tue Mar 05 2019 10:53 AM
Thanks for the help on this to everyone! I found a pic of what I think it is an real one.

Attached picture IMGeded_1383 - Copy.jpg
Posted By: T-way Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Tue Mar 05 2019 03:05 PM
Correct - that is 'real'

Please note the condition of the graphics.

I have never seen a 'real' one that looked significantly better than the photo above.

I was told by an expert globe collector that these did not have 'fired on' graphics - so they didn't survive very well out in the elements.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Morgan Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Tue Mar 05 2019 03:21 PM
Notice the glaring difference is the red and yellow are reversed.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 11 2019 05:40 PM
Here is my 15" lens

Attached picture FB_IMG_1552325214748.jpg
Attached picture FB_IMG_1552325226670.jpg
Posted By: nuts66 Re: Shell Roxana Globe Questions - Mon Mar 11 2019 05:56 PM
IMO. Looks like even the body is a new repo. A guy in Canada makes them like that !
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk