Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Burningriver216 Need help to identify this very old sign - Mon Feb 04 2019 10:09 PM
This is a SST for Cupplings Tires, it reads “ TOUGH AS A RHINO HAND MADE CUPPLES TIRES “
The rear of the sign looks like it was going to be the original sign. I can barely make out “Effective Immediately FORD F**J
The J is in the color red. There is also a yellow sticker that says “Protected with Du Pont ZE********* Anti-Rust
Then half of the sticker is missing and also has date imprinted at the bottom of the sticker. The paint is a thick silver ish paint.
I would really love to identify the back side of my Cupplings Tire sign, as I’m sure it has many stories behind it. I really love this sign, and the patina it has.
Would love to see a Ford sign that matches it. Thanks in advance to anyone with information!!!

Attached picture 205E1337-A92B-4C91-A73B-27E7D2D27D70.jpeg
Attached picture 6A3939F5-9CE3-40DC-B1E1-4AA8BB253499.jpeg
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Need help to identify this very old sign - Mon Feb 04 2019 10:43 PM
Great sign !!

The back side was probably "repurposed" back when by a garage owner who hand lettered it. I think the Zerex is a door jamb or radiator top sticker (placed on when the anti freeze was changed) that was stuck on some time later and unrelated.
Posted By: Burningriver216 Re: Need help to identify this very old sign - Tue Feb 05 2019 01:36 PM
Thank you! I either thought it was done by the sign manufacturer or someone who had repurposed it. This is such a cool sign that has some beautiful age to it. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it, and it does probably make more since that it was repurposed at some point.
Great piece with a lot of character.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Need help to identify this very old sign - Sat Feb 09 2019 02:34 AM
definitely got patina, cool .. ... cool
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk