Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Myers B Mobilgas Tokheim 39 - Thu Jan 10 2019 05:29 PM
Does anyone have any original photos of a Mobilgas Special Tokheim 39?

I would like to restore my pump as such, but want to make sure I’m replicating an original paint scheme and not an incorrect version.

Thanks
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Mobilgas Tokheim 39 - Fri Jan 11 2019 01:10 AM
Click on "Pictures" near the top of this page. On our image album page, type in "Mobilgas" in the search form box on the top left. Then click your Enter key.
On the results page, click on the button that says, "Show all 42" or whatever the number is.
For a Mobilgas search, there will be a good number of Mobilgas Special pump photos. While there may not be your specific model, you'll get the color scheme of red pumps with white doors.

The book, PCM Guide to Gas Pump Restoration, has a great illustrated reference of gasoline brand color schemes over the years. it is now out of print, but may be available from used booksellers and Amazon.com
Posted By: Myers B Re: Mobilgas Tokheim 39 - Sun Jan 13 2019 03:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately those are all photos of restored pumps. I was hoping to find some original photos of Mobilgas marked Tok39 pumps.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Mobilgas Tokheim 39 - Sun Jan 13 2019 04:13 PM
The imaging standard Socony-Vacuum put forth at that time was pretty straight forward. Red sides and top, with a white door signified a Special pump.

If you want to do correct restorations, you should pick up a copy of PCM's "Guide to Gas Pump Restoration" as Jim mentioned. It will be a valuable resource.
Good luck,
Darin
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Mobilgas Tokheim 39 - Sun Jan 13 2019 05:29 PM
As mentioned above, Mobilgas Special pumps are red sides, top with white doors. They originally had black bases but in most cases when they were repainted on the island the bases got painted red. The red was an orangy-red. Here is a M&S 80 showing the red color. This is the best original color shot of a 39 that I could find. The coloring is off a little. Also a black and white photo of a station being repainted. Last picture is two of my unrestored Mobilgas Special pumps. Notice the base is black under the peeling paint.

Attached picture color33.jpg
Attached picture color mobil.jpg
Attached picture Mobiilgas painting.jpg
Attached picture HPIM7528.JPG
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Mobilgas Tokheim 39 - Sun Jan 13 2019 05:33 PM
After a second look at the color photo of the 39s it looks to be a "color-ized" picture. The ad glass look black but should be red and the stripe on the building does not look right.
Posted By: Myers B Re: Mobilgas Tokheim 39 - Mon Jan 14 2019 03:08 AM
Thanks!! I found quite a few different Mobilgas pumps that would show a common paint scheme, but was hoping to get a look at one showing a Tokheim 39. That photo is perfect, I’m working on a 1950 39 tall.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk