Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Kevo335 Gulf C38 Marine White Pump - where to get parts?? - Fri Dec 07 2018 05:38 AM
Today I scored my first gas pump. It’s got a great history that relates to my career and looks great setup in my house. I’ve always wanted a pump and I’m glad I had the chance to take this one home. The problem is that it is missing the top cover. How hard would it be to find that piece? I’m not looking to do a ground up restoration, just get all the outside pieces to make it look complete. I’ve checked eBay and googled some restoration sites but to no avail. If anybody could guide me I the right direction in finding one, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!
-Kevin

Attached picture D76E0ECD-84BD-4E9C-8D94-6C0C1DFCE2F3.jpeg
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Gulf C38 Marine White Pump - where to get parts?? - Fri Dec 07 2018 08:03 AM
Please post the Model Number and the Serial number.

Jack Sim
Kevin,

I believe you have a National C-38 pump similar to the one pictured in my collection on the left. The missing top is usually referred to as a "step" top. There is also a smooth stainless top that goes on these pumps but the step top looks better. It's hard to tell from your picture but it looks like your missing the bracket that the top would bolt too. Step tops are hard to find and can cost $300 and upwards. I do not have extra step tops but do have some smooth stainless tops for sale.

Attached picture IMG_1737.JPG
...I think the top might bolt onto the top via the straight posts that are just visible on the left edge of the photo...can you post a better photo of the top of the pump?
Posted By: Kevo335 Re: Gulf C38 Marine White Pump - where to get parts?? - Fri Dec 07 2018 10:01 PM
Here is a picture of the serial and model number straight from The plate.

Attached picture C9339E28-2A55-46BE-95B3-452179924C89.jpeg
Posted By: Kevo335 Re: Gulf C38 Marine White Pump - where to get parts?? - Fri Dec 07 2018 10:07 PM
Yes sir! The C38. The step top does look better, I agree. I would like to find that one but for now the stainless top wouldn’t be the worst thing. I’d like to see it complete. I’ve attached a picture of the top so you can see if it’s missing any parts. Thanks!

Attached picture FD5F9A6D-6485-4237-BC34-E32F56DE4E4D.jpeg
Attached picture B6AB50EA-8977-40A6-8DA5-1939E3CCE1D7.jpeg
Posted By: Kevo335 Re: Gulf C38 Marine White Pump - where to get parts?? - Fri Dec 07 2018 10:09 PM
I posted a couple top photos. I think you’re right, those posts gotta before something. Did this pump have a globe?
Here's a page from the sales brochure.
Ron

Attached picture C38.gif
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Gulf C38 Marine White Pump - where to get parts?? - Fri Dec 07 2018 11:04 PM
The C-38 was introduced in May of 1938, Production continued until January, 1942 when all production of my gas pumps was stopped because of WWII. Production was resumed in February, 1946 and continued until at least 1949 (information as to when the last one was made is not available). As the ID tag states your pump was made in 1946.

Jack Sim
Nothing appears to be missing and it looks like you have a good solid pump. Gulfiend, whose eyes are far better than mine, was absolutely correct. The four vertical posts are used to hold down the step top. There are two types of step tops, one has a globe ring and one does not. Most pumps came with the light for a globe, and as indicated in your photos, the porcelain fixture was turned down if the top had no globe ring or was the sooth stainless type.
If you're going to go for a globe top, then finding an original Marine White globe would be the most expensive "part" you will need to complete it, lol!
Nice pump though, love the original state of this one.
Darin
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
If you're going to go for a globe top, then finding an original Marine White globe would be the most expensive "part" you will need to complete it, lol!
Nice pump though, love the original state of this one.
Darin

...agreed...
I might have a spare stainless steel top with the globe holder that fits an Erie parts pump that I have. I've never tried to fit it on a pump like the smooth SS tops attach. Anyone know if the stair step top will attach in the same manner as the smooth tops?

I cannot tell if the four posts are threaded for bolts.
The 4 posts are threaded to accept a top that screws down through the globe ring. If you have a stainless step top with 4 tabs on the bottom than the top fits an Erie 129 which is a totally different pump. Smooth stainless tops fit in a manner which is unique to the tops and utilize two spacers.
Posted By: cormy Re: Gulf C38 Marine White Pump - where to get parts?? - Thu Dec 13 2018 04:50 PM
Is that a MarineWhite decal or the actual pump plate? If so, rare pump plate to have..
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk