Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Joey Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 04:46 AM
I found this Phillips 66 sign in the red & white 30" x 30".... says SPS 59 at the bottom... I am considering buying this but I have seen this type sign in the same size form some foreign country... Those I think are fakes...I think this may be a fake but need some one to look at the pictures... Look like it may be original but need an expert to look and tell me.. the SPS is to the side a bit...I thought it said 64 he said it looks like 59. Please email me what you think... I have been wanting one of these for years... 64jmb@cox.net thankds

Attached picture s-l1600.jpg
Attached picture s-l1600-2.jpg
Attached picture s-l1600-3.jpg
Posted By: RMikita Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 05:26 AM
I may not know what I'm talking about, but the edge chipping looks like it was placed there. Just my opinion.

RM
Posted By: Jhaas63 Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 05:33 AM
To answer your question...I do not know if it is a fake. But when the sides are all chipped and nothing else is wrong...that would concern me.
Posted By: nuts66 Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 01:50 PM
Don't know either way - but the sps markings are usually only on one side
Posted By: jecos Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 02:55 PM
I'm no expert but did they even make the red/white version in the 30 x 30" size?
Posted By: Joey Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 03:53 PM
Ok, thanks all! So I was not sure, it was owned by a families Dad and he passed away and had this and the orange one in the garage. They said they are now selling this stuff of his. The only reason I think it may be real is the SPS 59 at the bottom I have asked for more pictures. Especially the SPS 59 at the bottom I have seen this in different fonts as well. I am looking for a 30 or 48 inch Phillips 66 sign in red and white in the $500 to $700 range and I have seen them for that. I live in AZ, so shipping is an issue. Ya the chips I see but the rust around the holes looks pretty convincing that it is very pitted. I have seen some of them on ebay in this size from another country and those did not have the SPS 59 on them. But the signs looks similar. I think those were reproductions.
Posted By: Joey Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 04:16 PM
Also I think that the SPS is on both sides. So does that make it a fake or reproduction? Do you have any signs Phillips 66 that SPS on both sides?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 04:58 PM
I have never seen that sign in that size and red & white before? From everything that you have presented, I would call this sign a reproduction.
Posted By: Joey Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 05:25 PM
ya thanks! I am thinking the same thing. Did Phillips 66 ever make a 30 inch in red and white?
Posted By: PetroPlus Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Joey
ya thanks! I am thinking the same thing. Did Phillips 66 ever make a 30 inch in red and white?

I've not seen one. I'm sure this ones as phony as a three dollar bill.
Posted By: Joey Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 06:22 PM
ok... so I really would like to find original one about this size and cond. I cannot spend $1000 either.... any help?
Posted By: Tankar Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Thu Dec 06 2018 11:39 PM
fake all the way.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Fri Dec 07 2018 03:01 AM
A really good original is going to run between $1600 and $2000--like it or not.
There are some with varying degrees of damage that will sell in your price range, other than that, you don't have much hope at that price level.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Fri Dec 07 2018 03:26 PM
...the small sign pictured is absolutely a fake...
Posted By: Joey Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Fri Dec 07 2018 05:27 PM
Thanks for all the input... really appreciate it! Ya I got more pictures, the SPS 59 looks like it was added... So it is a reproduction is my guess...It is a nice sign for maybe $100 for a repro...... it is real porcelain tho... that much I can tell.... you all think it is would be work $100 for what it is?
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Fri Dec 07 2018 06:06 PM
Listen to yourself (what you've already said in your posting here), and you should have your answer.

Why would you WASTE $100 on a reproduction, when you really want a nice original version of this sign? You indicated you've been coveting a good, original one for years. Generate some extra fun money by doing some trading, or buying and reselling some other gas/oil items, or buying selling some items from your collection that aren't all that important to you, or do a combination of all of these things. You should have the extra $900-$1000 Kevin indicates you'll need to buy a decent quality, original Phillips 66 sign like this in a relatively short time. John
Posted By: Joey Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Fri Dec 07 2018 07:31 PM
Ya I really want a real one in that range... does not need to be perfect... Patina is great! Any help there here in AZ?
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Mon Dec 10 2018 09:30 AM
I’d rather spend my $100 on a completely different petro item than support these idiots who are making fakes and ruining some of the fun in this hobby.

In fact I’d rather spend $100 on an a real item valued at $50, than spend than spend $10 on a fake item ‘valued’ at $200.

Just my 2 cents. But I wouldn’t even buy that if you think it’s a good deal. Like the other fellas said - save your hard earn money for the real deal. You will be much happier, more satisfied, and proud of your purchase in the end.

Posted By: Joey Re: Phillips 66 Sign "Is this a fake or real?" - Mon Dec 10 2018 07:46 PM
ya for sure thanks
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk