Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Wrench man Triangular oil can - Wed Dec 05 2018 07:18 PM
I was in a antique store recently in Pennsylvania and spotted a Shell Triangular shaped oil can. It looked like it was re-painted yellow with red lettering. Also was embossed and had a brass cap on top with "SHELL" embossed in to the cap and stood about 12" tall. I believe it to be from Europe and although I've never seen one like it before it was a nice looking can and was in the $300 price range. I should have taken a picture but regret that now. Have searched the net since then and it looks like shell and mobil both had cans like that but they are in the $1200 to $2000 price range with no embossed. Just wondering if anyone on here has any of these style cans in their collections or could enlighten me on them?
Posted By: RedHat Re: Triangular oil can - Thu Dec 06 2018 12:56 AM
Not sure I’ve ever heard of an embossed triangle can in the way you describe it, but I’d steer clear of a repainted one. The triangle cans you’ve found on the internet are from the Czech Republic. Mobiloil made one that I know of while Shell has quite a few (possibly more than ten). Sadly, according to a Czech friend of mine, they are now being faked, as well. Without a picture, though, I can’t say one way or another what you are taking about.
Posted By: Wrench man Re: Triangular oil can - Thu Dec 06 2018 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info RedHat. The can is in my opinion too "perfect" to be old and why would any one repaint a oil can? With the price range it's in compared to the others I assumed something was up with it. Also there was no other markings or print on the can like oil weight or volume capacity, nothing just "Shell". I found that odd also. Was in a booth with alot of other nice older petroliana products that appeared to be original.
Posted By: Gasolinecollector01 Re: Triangular oil can - Tue Dec 11 2018 07:45 PM
I had a Mobile can like this from Europe.
Posted By: Wrench man Re: Triangular oil can - Tue Dec 11 2018 08:40 PM
Yes, I have seen pics of the Mobil can on the net.
Posted By: gascollector56 Re: Triangular oil can - Wed Dec 12 2018 09:51 PM
Great can!
Posted By: energol Re: Triangular oil can - Wed Dec 12 2018 11:04 PM
was that something like this one ?

[Linked Image]

there a lot ov different version of the triangular shell ones see this website : http://www.shellmobilia.com/?page_id=264
Posted By: Wrench man Re: Triangular oil can - Thu Dec 13 2018 01:24 PM
No but I do like that can also. I'll try and put picture of can similar to what I saw.

Attached picture Shell triangular can.jpg
Posted By: gascollector56 Re: Triangular oil can - Thu Apr 25 2019 08:05 PM
I have 2 like this! Got em 35 years ago!
Posted By: gascollector56 Re: Triangular oil can - Thu Apr 25 2019 08:23 PM
Me 2! A great can for sure..
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk