Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: fast66 Mobiloil curb sign - Tue Oct 30 2018 09:10 PM
Hi All,
A friend asked about a certain Mobil curb sign he had seen in a picture somewhere... it was a Mobiloil with the Pegasus...
were these signs made of two signs in a frame or one double sided sign (also in a frame)?

I tried to find a picture of one in the old "COTM Mobil" tread but not a picture available there... all pics on internet storage sites no longer available, I suppose...

Would appreciate if you could post a picture of your Mobil curb signs for us:-)

Thanks in advance!
Claes
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Mobiloil curb sign - Tue Oct 30 2018 09:33 PM
Hi, Claes. I assume this is the sign your friend is asking about. It's usually called a Mobil "Keyhole" curb sign because of the shape. The graphics area is comprised of one double-sided porcelain sign. John

Attached picture amob.jpg
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Mobiloil curb sign - Tue Oct 30 2018 09:42 PM
Here's one that turned up at our show.

Attached picture IMG_7082.JPG
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Mobiloil curb sign - Wed Oct 31 2018 01:24 AM
As far as I know all of the Mobil related curb signs are double sided porcelain......
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Mobiloil curb sign - Wed Oct 31 2018 05:29 AM
Darrin is correct. Most all curb signs, regardless of brand were double sided. As it would defeat the purpose to have a sign out by the street with advertising only on one side. Same goes for most flange signs.
Posted By: fast66 Re: Mobiloil curb sign - Wed Oct 31 2018 07:27 AM
Thanks Guys!

Thats probably the one he has seen...

About the sign being two-sided - yes of course - but where I come frome, the curb- and hanging two-sided signs where often made up by two single sided signs mounted back to back to a frame in the early days - later on... 50's.... more often one double sided sign.

Thanks again!
Claes
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk