Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Gulf Warrior 1974 Texaco map of Southern New England - Thu Sep 13 2018 02:18 AM
Good evening. I found this map online. I'm a roadgeek, so I get a kick out of seeing old highways that have been renumbered like I-86 and CT-32, but this map also shows locations of Texaco stations near major highways in 1974. I found a local source for oil company maps, but this is the best one I've seen when it comes to listing station locations.

http://gis.massdot.state.ma.us/images/historicmaps/texaco_1974.pdf
Posted By: The_QS Re: 1974 Texaco map of Southern New England - Thu Sep 13 2018 04:54 PM
It would be cool to travel around to those locations and see how many are still standing, im sure not very many are left. Ill have to look in my stack of maps now and see if any of them show locations like this Texaco.

QS
Posted By: Gulf Warrior Re: 1974 Texaco map of Southern New England - Thu Sep 13 2018 11:51 PM
I think some of these stations still stand, but none of them are Texacos. I don't know if Texaco got completely out of the service station business, but here in New England I believe you can only get Texaco at a marina. A lot of their stations switched over to Shell. Some, like Hassell's in East Providence RI, didn't because Shell wanted mini-markets and Hassell's was focused on repairs as well as gas. They went with Citgo for a while until some customers complained about that company's ties with Chavez and Venezuela. Then they went independent before finally getting rid of their pumps.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk