Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: R Wood Split Second Gasoline - Thu Aug 09 2018 11:51 PM
Looking for some pictures of pump decals, signs, globes, or anything about Split Second Gasoline. I've attached a couple pictures off one of my pump doors.

Attached picture IMG_1513.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1515.JPG
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: Split Second Gasoline - Fri Aug 10 2018 07:46 PM
Cool, hope you have some luck in finding some info on this !!
Posted By: coltex Re: Split Second Gasoline - Sun Aug 12 2018 04:37 AM
Here you go.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Split Second Gasoline - Sun Aug 12 2018 06:15 AM
I did some research on split second gas last year, been kind of obsessed with that brand since its so cool. Someday soon (next year maybe?) I'm going to restore a pump in the split-second brand, my dad and I did some BIG WEST/THUNDERBIRD pumps this year. I know split-second was pretty much exclusive to Colorado and had a station in Denver. Just around during the '50s. Was a brand by red dot oil. There's some info on the owner that I dug up but I can't remember his name right now, he was an important guy in Colorado in his day, he turns up in the old newspapers quite a bit. Feel free to PM me if you want to know something specific, I kept everything I dug up but there's not a lot. There's a station attendant hat that sold at Barrett-Jackson some years ago you can see on the net. They also had post cards of the old stations, I'll put one here. If you look close you can see the pumps, they are white and red, I was trying to figure out what colors the pumps were.

I haven't seen a surviving split-second gas pump before, really cool you have one!
- Paul

Attached picture denver-co-50s-service-station-split-second-gas_1_c1f5f3430d92df7003f403814c21cdf7.jpg
Posted By: R Wood Re: Split Second Gasoline - Sun Aug 12 2018 07:51 AM
This is great!!! I’m hoping to restore my pump back to its glory. I think I’ve got enough pictures to make a go out of it now. Thank you everyone! Please keep more stuff coming if you have some.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Split Second Gasoline - Sun Aug 12 2018 01:05 PM
Love this brand logo. And that globe, awesome !
Posted By: AlbertaNorthStar Re: Split Second Gasoline - Sun Aug 12 2018 02:28 PM
Very nice, would you be able to post a couple more pictures of your pump?
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: Split Second Gasoline - Tue Aug 14 2018 04:37 PM
Love that Globe!! Awesome!!
Posted By: LOWright Re: Split Second Gasoline - Wed Aug 15 2018 01:35 AM
Not Mine! But very cool!

Attached picture Split Second Gasoline Hat.jpg
Posted By: R Wood Re: Split Second Gasoline - Wed Apr 24 2019 06:27 AM
Finished pump

Attached picture 5B834455-4992-4C37-9304-10A17F74A143.jpeg
Posted By: pumpdoc Re: Split Second Gasoline - Wed Apr 24 2019 11:58 AM
Awesome looking pump. Great job. Dan
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Split Second Gasoline - Wed Apr 24 2019 12:22 PM
Love the look of that gas pump. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Posted By: ConocoRetiree Re: Split Second Gasoline - Wed Apr 24 2019 08:25 PM
Your pump looks like a Southwest 40 model to me. Is that right?

I follow Conoco and its use of gas pumps, and Conoco only used a limited number of Southwest pumps, almost exclusively in Texas....where Southwest is based. I did some limited digging into the Southwest gas pump company and what I found seemed to suggest they were a small local gas pump company. Based on what I read, I am a bit surprised that they would have supplied a retailer in Colorado. Can any others share any more info on Southwest?

Thanks.

Andy
Posted By: R Wood Re: Split Second Gasoline - Wed Apr 24 2019 08:42 PM
Yes this is a Southwest 40. As you can see in my first picture it was a Split Second Pump. Maybe they bought the pumps used from another gas company and did there own paint. I have the original I’d tag with the serial number. Perhaps there is a listing somewhere that would show who they were sold to.
Posted By: coltex Re: Split Second Gasoline - Wed Apr 24 2019 10:07 PM
very nice job on the pump!!! Love the old picture and hat.
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: Split Second Gasoline - Wed Apr 24 2019 10:50 PM
Very Nice! I would love to fine a globe, since its a Colorado Brand!!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Split Second Gasoline - Fri Apr 26 2019 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by ConocoRetiree
Your pump looks like a Southwest 40 model to me. Is that right?

I follow Conoco and its use of gas pumps, and Conoco only used a limited number of Southwest pumps, almost exclusively in Texas....where Southwest is based. I did some limited digging into the Southwest gas pump company and what I found seemed to suggest they were a small local gas pump company. Based on what I read, I am a bit surprised that they would have supplied a retailer in Colorado. Can any others share any more info on Southwest?

Thanks.

Andy

...Southwest supplied MANY pumps for Gulf Oil, especially in the 1960s, and they were used all over the country in Gulf's marketing territory...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk