Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: advertologist texaco globe - Wed Aug 08 2018 10:53 PM
texaco die cut globe "plastic" ? .. ... cool

anyone familiar with this globe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEXACO-GASOLINE-GLOBE-/153127930969

Attached picture 1texglo.jpg
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: texaco globe - Wed Aug 08 2018 11:54 PM
Glass ones came from down under,Were going for 10K or more It's a repop and my guess is he knows it.
Posted By: Morgan Re: texaco globe - Thu Aug 09 2018 09:50 AM
I'm not sure about diecut. Made with a blow mold or injection mold maybe.

I recall an ad in Hemmings, someone in the UK making repop plastic globes back in the 70s.
Posted By: Martin from OZ Re: texaco globe - Mon Aug 20 2018 11:44 PM
That's a reproduction vacuum formed plastic one that we sell here in Australia. Manufactured locally too. Used a couple over the years and stock them from time to time.
Had spent some time looking into glass and after acquiring an original mould, we've recreated it in glass to a better finish. This is version one - opal glass to come next

Attached picture 20180612_125245.jpg
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: texaco globe - Tue Aug 21 2018 02:51 PM
Are they dated ?
Posted By: Martin from OZ Re: texaco globe - Tue Aug 21 2018 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Craig Osbeck
Are they dated ?

Not sure what you mean.... but these globe we reproduced earlier this year along with a couple different globes
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: texaco globe - Tue Aug 21 2018 11:58 PM
He means to ask---are they marked with the date of manufacture, so that novice collectors can make an educated decision when purchasing?
Posted By: T-way Re: texaco globe - Wed Aug 22 2018 12:12 AM
And the won't be mistaken as 'original' globes in twenty years.
Posted By: Martin from OZ Re: texaco globe - Wed Aug 22 2018 12:20 AM
Sorry no... there not dated... the mould of the Australian version didn't have any date coding what's so ever... However the original globe was setup with a screw on brass collar like the 3 piece globes in the states... we decided to make the collar as part of the mould. If an original version was found, of course it would have the same shape, however the collar section would be totally different.

The next batch we might look to do a '18 or 2018 embossing... however it would be hard for us to etch the lip to show "2018" on it
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk