Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: model72 Red Sentry Counter - Tue Jun 12 2018 05:20 PM
I just purchased a Bowser Red Sentry, the all cast iron model. When I opened up the hand counter (not sure what it is called) a piece was broken off of the end of the lever where it goes over the shaft. With the lever end broken off, is there any way to repair the counter and make it work again? I am not even sure if the piece with the spring is in the correct place. Any photos available of a working counter?
Joe

Attached picture SAM_2297.JPG
Attached picture SAM_2298.JPG
Posted By: we're the other guys Re: Red Sentry Counter - Tue Jun 12 2018 07:12 PM
It can be repaired,but you will need machine shop equipment to do it. take the broken off piece and get a GOOD welder. It needs to be brazed back on, then drilled and reamed.
Posted By: model72 Re: Red Sentry Counter - Tue Jun 12 2018 07:39 PM
Unfortunately, the broken piece had fallen out or the previous owner had disassembled it and threw away the part. Besides repairing the broken part, I am trying to determine how the parts fit together inside the case. Maybe the counter won't work at all if the part is not repaired. There is a part with a spring and I need to know how it should look when installed properly. I think there is only one way it will fit.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Red Sentry Counter - Wed Jun 13 2018 05:22 AM
I can’t help you with the assembly portion of your question, but since the broken piece is missing, I think you would be better off, cutting the rest of the circle/arc off (in an arc along the o.d.) and welding a new piece of cut tubing with the same length, o.d, and a slightly smaller i.d. and ream it. It would probably be easier than trying to fix the break. Just make sure you you get it in the same spot... take dimensions and trace it out on paper, before you cut it off.

And like Todd said, get a good welder to do it.

Just my two cents,
Steve
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk