Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Hancock/yale oil company history? - Wed Jun 06 2018 01:12 AM
Can anybody tell me the History of hancock/yale oil company?

Attached picture 20180605_183036.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Hancock/yale oil company history? - Wed Jun 06 2018 01:58 AM
not affiliated with Hancock Oil Company of California .. ... cool
Posted By: advertologist Re: Hancock/yale oil company history? - Wed Jun 06 2018 08:22 AM
Yale Oil Co. was out of South Dakota, with refineries in Wyoming and Montana. Central office in Billings.
Distributed Hancock oil and grease, sold Litening gas
Yale Oil started a new refinery in Billings in 1930
in 1944. Carter Oil, a national concern, purchased the Yale Refinery in Billings .. ... cool
Posted By: mapper Re: Hancock/yale oil company history? - Wed Jun 06 2018 01:50 PM
John and Luke Hancock started the Pure Oil of Minneapolis in the early 1900's. They sold out to The Pure Oil Company of Ohio in 1920. Luke Hancock continued to work for Pure Oil, and John Hancock started the Hancock Oil Company in Minneapolis. John Hancock died in 1929, at which time the Minneapolis Hancock Oil stations were sold to Phillips. I should research this area a bit more to get definitive information, but in the late 1920's, Yale Oil was incorporated in either South Dakota as Randy mentioned (or Montana, i'm not sure which), which i'm guessing had something to do with 1) Luke Hancock eventually leaving Pure, and 2) John Hancock passing. I believe Luke Hancock had some ownership in Yale, so I think he left Pure to work for Yale around this time, You'll see cans for the Hancock Oil company and Yale Oil which look identical. I think it's because prior to the Phillips sale, Hancock Oil and Yale Oil essentially had the same owners, and were just using the same cans with different company names.

I have more information at home. If anyone wants more details, i'd be happy to provide them.

Attached picture Litening - Clason.jpg
Posted By: mapper Re: Hancock/yale oil company history? - Wed Jun 06 2018 01:55 PM
A couple of more pics: note the JH on the can, which is the same as the bucket on the top pic. JH for John Hancock, which would tell me that its from the late 1920's.

Attached picture Hancock_5lb_50nobids.JPG
Attached picture Hancock_5lb_50nobids2.JPG
Posted By: advertologist Re: Hancock/yale oil company history? - Wed Jun 06 2018 08:08 PM
I've seen a few of these 1lb. grease cans but don't recall seeing the Montana version, all have been from Twin Cities (MInnesota)
the Montana version must be pretty rare or so the seller thinks so. .. ... cool

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-OLD-...City-Billing-MONTANA-rare-1/392059598785

Attached picture IMG_3120[1].JPG
Attached picture 1hancqtcn.jpg
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: Hancock/yale oil company history? - Sat Jun 09 2018 05:14 AM
Thank you all for the help and info.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk