Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: advertologist gargoyle oil can rack - Sun Apr 08 2018 07:26 PM
your 2¢ counts, vote for 1 .. ... cool

1.) would you leave the rack "as is"

2.) or would you "powder coat rack"

Attached picture IMG_3034[1].JPG
Attached picture 1garpwdcot.jpg
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Tue Apr 10 2018 05:31 AM
Wow I think we need a recount--or a run off vote- or something! LOL!
Fill it with cans as found and lets vote again.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Wed Apr 11 2018 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Loyd Pierce
Wow I think we need a recount--or a run off vote- or something! LOL!
Fill it with cans as found and lets vote again.

I thought the vote was over when I posted this,my bad. Think its lack of sleep.
Posted By: Dbalfisto Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Mon Apr 16 2018 02:41 AM
I just posted pix of my Fry pump on which I used linseed oil to preserve and protect, arresting further oxidation without risking yellowing and cracking. Satisfied with result. They are only original once.
Posted By: advertologist Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Mon Apr 16 2018 04:16 AM
I bought this rack with the intention of powder coating it
upon review of this poll (your vote counted) & other collector's 2¢ -
I've decided too leave as is- you look at this patina & it kinda
grows on you, if it could only talk I bet you would hear some good stories .. ... cool
Posted By: Rsljr1 Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Mon Apr 16 2018 11:24 PM
its only original once .
Posted By: autoxnut Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Tue Apr 17 2018 12:20 AM
It seems to me that the phrase "leaving it as it is" implies taking no action. If that is the plan, I believe the rust will continue eating away at a fine rack until it is lost forever. I believe you need to take some action to preserve this item - neutralizing the rust and sealing it to prevent future rust development or powdercoating. I personally prefer to see restored items as they remind me of how I remember things from when I was young. Some people prefer the patina look - I guess they like to remember things as they found them. But I believe going the patina route without stopping the progression of rust will lead to the end of this hobby.
Posted By: wayno48 Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Tue Apr 17 2018 12:31 AM
From what I have seen from Randy He's smarter than that. I'm sure he's already killed the surface rust. " it's only original once"
Posted By: autoxnut Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Wed Apr 18 2018 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by wayno48
From what I have seen from Randy He's smarter than that. I'm sure he's already killed the surface rust. " it's only original once"

There was no intended insult in my post. If I offended the OP, I apologize. The point of the post was to help novices, such as myself. I have read repeatedly on here where people speak of leaving things as they are and never say anything about neutralizing or arresting rust. A novice reader could, by such remarks, be led to taking no action and then have a multi-hundred dollar item continue to deteriorate till it is not worth showing. How does linseed oil work to stop rust? What other techniques work for those wanting to preserve patina - rust reformer? vinegar followed by clear enamel?
Posted By: Done4 Re: gargoyle oil can rack - Wed Apr 18 2018 09:03 PM
The paint and litho printing are all oil based. Apply WD40 and feed them. It will neutralize the rust and preserve the original coatings. I apply this to my old originals every six months and they still look great to my eye.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk