Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Watchtower Fiberglass Shell Globe?? - Thu Mar 01 2018 04:08 PM
Hi folks

Recently I purchased what I assumed to be a reproduction Shell globe sight unseen. Upon getting the globe however I’m a bit curious.

It has a 6 inch neck and the globe itself is quite big and bulbous. It has been made using sheet squares of fiberglass material and resin, like the kind used to build boats. It is in two pieces and the pieces have been put together using caulking. The lettering on the word SHELL is not embossed but rather has raised yellow trim work around the red lettering that gives the impression that the letters are punched in slightly instead of embossed. The fiberglass casting itself is pretty fine work on the outside, very deep lines and smooth.

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Is it just an early reproduction that needed a 6” neck?

Thanks for the read

Attached picture 1414CBF2-3F25-41CB-9182-2303FE3BB21F.jpeg
Attached picture A2816205-2D0B-44C8-B0FC-071E8BE4269A.jpeg
Attached picture 2F73E176-4D51-4DF8-9E6C-A052B28B1E47.jpeg
Attached picture 28C9E102-9956-4B43-8405-89B015C8C515.jpeg
Posted By: Watchtower Re: Fiberglass Shell Globe?? - Thu Mar 01 2018 04:10 PM
Few more pics

Attached picture 3091EF3E-B4A8-49D9-9D15-CC0BCCB80E36.jpeg
Attached picture DD6E607C-40F8-4DFF-99CB-902BA0B489D8.jpeg
Attached picture 244553B6-5672-45FC-BEB9-9F3EE24199DD.jpeg
Attached picture 73F7C9D3-8450-4CBB-BF2B-7EA1563F0319.jpeg
Posted By: cggas Re: Fiberglass Shell Globe?? - Thu Mar 01 2018 04:59 PM
Original Shell globes have a 6in base. Looks like yours was made by laying fiberglass on an original, then caulked the 2 halves together? Loks cool, and hopefully u didn’t pay a lot for it. Chris
Posted By: Watchtower Re: Fiberglass Shell Globe?? - Sat Mar 03 2018 03:13 AM
That’s what I thought too but an older fellow I met has metal molds that are concave. He says that for a short while Shell started laying fiberglass into these molds because they were resistant to breakage but shortly thereafter they ditched the 3d seashell globes all together.

Has anyone heard any differently? Maybe his metal molds were for glass?
Posted By: wocopep Re: Fiberglass Shell Globe?? - Sat Mar 03 2018 03:23 AM
I have a sneaky suspicion that your globe is authentic. I have seen a couple over the years just never looked that close to the inside. That particular globe is listed in Benjamins globe book.
Posted By: Watchtower Re: Fiberglass Shell Globe?? - Mon Mar 12 2018 06:32 AM
Well that’s interesting. I’ll have to track down the book you speak of or ask Scott if he can help.

The fiberglass work itself on the outside seems far to tight to be someone just playing around. I used to mold fiberglass automotive bumpers and custom interior parts as a side job and if this is custom work without a vacuum it’s phenominal.

Thanks!
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Fiberglass Shell Globe?? - Mon Mar 12 2018 12:27 PM
Interesting. I had owned the only known original yellow Shell globe used on a pump. But it was all plastic, not fiberglass. These were used as an experimental globe in the NW part of the country. I think someone or maybe even the company made yours as an experiment or for fun. Base is not perfectly round so I doubt it ever sat on a pump. Really not sure what it is but again I don't think it's a legitimate gas globe. Scott Benjamin

Attached picture shellyellow.jpg
Posted By: Watchtower Re: Fiberglass Shell Globe?? - Fri Mar 16 2018 07:08 AM
Thank you very much, Scott.

I’ve done quite a bit of fiberglass casting over the years in automotive and boating and I must say that while the interior of the globe is quick matt work the exterior is very fine work and the letters on the word “Shell” have a raised border around them. Whoever did this work must have had a hard cast mold to lay the fiberglass onto and they MUST have known what they were doing as the work on display is very well excecuted and quite pronounced. The other issue is that the YELLOW on the globe doesn’t seem to be painted on, it’s as if the fiberglass matting was yellow or the resin used in the process was tinted yellow? The letters on the word shell have been painted in.

I’m not really sure what to think either, definetly a keeper.

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk