Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: shavron Old gas smell - Tue Feb 20 2018 01:52 PM
I have a Tokheim 36B pump I am going to restore. I have decided not to gut it. So I taken it apart not to bad off a smell, but moved it approximately 1000 miles in pieces. The pump it self is in three pieces including the motor, pump, and domed part. The old gas smell is worse now from all the agitation. I will sandblast it and paint it in the future. I believe that some will spray expandable foam insulation in the in and out of each peice. Is this the way to go, or should I use a different method?
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Old gas smell - Tue Feb 20 2018 01:59 PM
That or oven cleaner.I took mine all apart,then sprayed every component with oven cleaner.
Let it sit overnight then rinse off.Takes the smell away & varnish off too but leaves the original paint alone.

Attached picture sunoco25.jpg
Posted By: nochevys Re: Old gas smell - Tue Feb 20 2018 08:44 PM
That looks like the inside of a wayne 511 blender pump. Its sad that I know that if im correct.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Old gas smell - Tue Feb 20 2018 09:22 PM
Yes it is,why are you sad about knowing that?
Posted By: Vernski Re: Old gas smell - Wed Feb 21 2018 02:15 AM
I’d be cautious with the oven cleaner as I’ve used Easy Off to strip paint off of old automotive parts.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Old gas smell - Wed Feb 21 2018 02:02 PM
If you’re going to leave the guts in, take those components apart and clean the insides and/or soak the insides. I use simple green. It’s not too hard to get most pump parts apart to clean the inside. After all they had to go together at one point. You’ll be surprised how much gas can still be in some of the parts.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: Old gas smell - Thu Feb 22 2018 01:08 AM
Pump guts will pocket fuel. The ONLY way to get it out is disassemble EVERYTHING and clean it all. This is why I always gut my pumps.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk