Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Speedracer Pennzoil sign authenticity question - Wed Jan 03 2018 05:33 AM
I had a question regarding Pennzoil signs. I've had many real ones and have seen many fakes. I ran across a common 77 fake last month with the separated ' r ' (which looks like an i with a dot next to it) see photo 1 and 2 below. It's one of the obvious fakes with the off-color.

Then just last week I ran across a 73 which had the same separated r, but the color looked okay. See photo #3 (the r was separated I saw it in person - sorry, it's the only pic I have. Unfortunately I didn't get a close up of the date/ mfg stamp).

My question is this, are all separated r's fake, or does anyone have a positively real Pennzoil sign with this feature? Maybe it was a font change at a certain date, maybe it is a different manufacturer, maybe they are all fake. Any help would be appreciated.

And I'm only talking about these 31" oval signs in either this style, or the ones with the 'sound your Z' rocker on top.

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Fake - photo #1

Fake - photo #2

Sign in question - photo #3
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Pennzoil sign authenticity question - Wed Jan 03 2018 08:02 AM
Steve,
This isn't a great help but if I'm understanding your question, these do bring some legitimacy to the funny looking "r".
Both these decals from the mid 80's (which far as I know are authentic) have that "r" like that.

Attached picture 1984 (2).JPG
Attached picture 1985 (2).JPG
Attached picture 1984 (3).jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Pennzoil sign authenticity question - Wed Jan 03 2018 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info Steve. However, I understand those r's may be on the other smaller signs, but I'm only talking about the 31" signs. There is the possibility that the people who faked the 31's used the smaller signs (or those decals) as a pattern.

Regarding the 31's, I (me personally) have only seen the spaced r on the fake signs.

So does anyone have an original 31 with this r?
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Pennzoil sign authenticity question - Fri Jan 05 2018 11:39 PM
Ok this is what I have . Have it hung up high so best I can do right now as I have the flu I bought this sign out of a gas station in Tennessee that I came accross while I was on vacation in 1985 that was going out of business but still was open . It is dated “83” & me and the owner took it off the oil bay wall after I asked him if he would sell it. Reason I remember the year is that I had just purchased a 1985 chevette to drive back and forth to work . Same r with dot finish . Know it has to be right as I personally helped him take it down.

Attached picture 984ED19D-9D2F-4C85-8D9A-A7923F2588EF.jpeg
Attached picture AD3B8AA3-B607-428C-812F-427242F535EC.jpeg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Pennzoil sign authenticity question - Sat Jan 06 2018 04:16 PM
Cool, thanks buzzy. I guess that solves that mystery. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Pennzoil sign authenticity question - Sat Jan 06 2018 04:39 PM
No problem glad to help . We never know for sure all the time , sharing helps us all out .
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Pennzoil sign authenticity question - Sat Jan 06 2018 05:35 PM
I also noticed there is a "100% Pennsylvania" version that just popped up in the 'for sale' forum and it also has the dot r, but it is the porcelain version. Also, another member PM'd me and sent me a few pics. He also has a "100% Pennsylvania" version with a dot r which is real.

Although I was more concerned and curious about investigating the "Supreme Quality" version. So thanks again for helping buzzy.

-Steve
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk