Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 51hudson Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Sun Dec 03 2017 10:50 PM
I have a porcelain Frontier Rarin To Go sign that has been re-purposed many times and has a few coats of paint on it. It is a keyhole shaped sign and is about 6 feet tall and wide. I also have the heavy frame that was mounted to a pole. I can get the frame blasted and powder coated. What is the best way to remove the many layers of paint from the sign without damaging it?
The sign has also been used as target practice so it probably isn't in great shape to begin with.I tried to post a picture but it said it is too big and I don't know how to shrink it.

Thanks
Don
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Sun Dec 03 2017 10:59 PM
On the Google Custom Search form in the upper right corner of this page, type in "cleaning porcelain signs" and click the Search button.

Lots of great info available on this forum in past topics.

Here are links for help with different ways of posting pictures in your message.
Pictures of the File Manager direct image upload step-by-step process:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129148#Post189696

Resizing photo images for easy upload using File Manager:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199328

Or resize by using our "EZ Image Resize to use in other forums" gallery:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=32
Posted By: 51hudson Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Sun Dec 03 2017 11:07 PM
I've been a member for some time, but this is my first time posting. So I think I have figured out the resize issue. I will give it shot

Attached picture sign painted.jpg
Posted By: cggas Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Mon Dec 04 2017 01:12 AM
Brush on paint stripper & a plastic scraper.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Tue Dec 05 2017 12:18 AM
^^^What he said^^^

It's hard to tell how many bullet holes are in it from that picture, but that sign may still look really nice after you clean it up with paint stripper.

Please post an after picture.

-Steve
Posted By: 51hudson Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Sun Jan 21 2018 01:16 AM
Here it is cleaned up.

Attached picture frontier clean.jpg
Posted By: 51hudson Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Sun Jan 21 2018 01:18 AM
Here is another before with it still in the frame.

Attached picture frontier paint.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Sun Jan 21 2018 04:18 AM
Well, she's seen better days, but that is still a very cool sign. Nice find.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Sun Jan 21 2018 04:57 AM
Wash it good with soap and water and buff it with a non grit compound. You will be surprised how well it will shine.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign - Sun Jan 21 2018 09:06 PM
Cool sign, I think you’ll be even happier with it if you get the paint out of the bullet holes. Black bullet holes won’t stand out so much. I’ve found aviation stripper (found at auto paint stores) is the strongest out there. Might need some manual scrubbing in there. I know it’s important to be careful but the porcelain is pretty tough stuff.

Buffing with auto buffer shines up the sign a little too...
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk