Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: WarEagle1 New member - Decals on visible pump body? ..or not - Tue Oct 24 2017 06:12 PM
Hello all,
I am a new member and am enjoying this site!
I have a Bennett 810 visible pump that my uncle drug out of a barn 40 years ago. I would like to restore it as a Sinclair version since he worked for the company for many years.
Question: For this type of pump, do most folks use logo decals on the body skins? Or is it more authentic to use tin plates or signs formed to the curvature? Which Sinclair logo is period correct for this pump?
My pump skins had remnants of Shell/Ethyl logos (stencils or transfers(??)) and a 7"x 9" tin plate on each, too rusty to read (maybe "contains LEAD" plates?).
Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I want to order the decals or signage up front so that I can get a decent color match with the paint.
Does anyone have any pics of a Sinclair Bennett 810, as an example?
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Here are some pictures that are on my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/bennett%20810.htm

Jack Sim
Mike, welcome to Oldgas...

IMO, your best bet is to go on Amazon or another 'Site that deals in "used Books" and pick up a copy of PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration"; either 1st Edition or 2nd Edition...

In it you will find information on most American Oil Companies from the early 1900s to the 1970s... Included is sections on Sinclair ranging from 1916 to 1970... This information details if a Pump Plate or decal was used. And where on the Pump they would have been situated. For Pumps with Ad Glass and/or Globes; there are images showing which different logos were correct for the period of time... Etc....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk