Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tbuckles Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Tue Oct 03 2017 09:50 PM
I received word today from John Kasishke (his true friend and gas show traveling buddy)that Roger lost his battle with cancer. As many of you know, Roger fought hard and came to the gas shows during his fight because he so loved the hobby. He will be missed!

Please pray for his wife and family. His wife Betty would love to hear from you that knew him to relate any stories you might wish to share. Her email is: winchell76@yahoo.com

No arrangements have been made yet but you can look them up online at www.legacy.com, He lived in Litchfield Michigan

My condolences to all he touched, he was such a pleasure to talk to at the shows.

Tom.
Posted By: mrcavalcade Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Tue Oct 03 2017 10:00 PM
Very sad. My sympath to all those he touched
Posted By: junknjohn Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Tue Oct 03 2017 10:07 PM
So sorry to hear that. Prayers for Betty and the family.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Tue Oct 03 2017 10:26 PM
Very sad to hear this, so happy I was blessed to know him. Peace and prayers to Roger's family.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Tue Oct 03 2017 11:55 PM
Very sad news indeed, my condolences to Betty and the family.

Roger was the first person in the area to contact me when I started collecting after seeing my first posts on Old Gas. He had me over to look at his collection and told me about anything I had questions on. He was also very helpful to me over the years picking up prepaid globes or cans for me when I was unable to go to Peotone myself, and never accepted any payment offered for his time or gas. I'm glad I got to spend some time with him at Michigan Gas this spring and we got caught up on things. I will let the membership know the arrangements once they are announced on our local radio station.
Darin
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 04 2017 11:43 AM
I met Roger years ago when I first started collecting. He was always helpful to me and never asked for anything in return. I have been to his house a couple times, made it a point to stop by when I was in his area. I visited with him a bunch this past year at Iowa and told him that I would see him next year, rats.

RIP buddy!
Posted By: leonardoil Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 04 2017 12:32 PM
Very sorry to hear this about Roger. The family is in thoughts and prayers. Jim and Lynda White
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 04 2017 01:04 PM
Roger was one of the good guys in our hobby and will truly be missed! Prayers and sympathy to his family and friends.

Aaron
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 04 2017 01:25 PM
Never had the honor to meet Rogers our prayers go out to family and friends. May God help you through this tough time. I remember when he got sick everyone spoke of him well,and again here today he will be missed but not forgotten.

The Pierces
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 04 2017 02:30 PM
Thanks for letting us know Tom, I knew something was wrong at Iowa Gas. Roger was a great guy and super knowledgeable on pumps. Prayers sent from our dinner table for sure.

Goober
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 04 2017 09:15 PM
Another great old gasser gone, prayers to the family.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 04 2017 11:46 PM
Rogers obit has been listed on Eagle Funeral Home's website.

http://www.eaglefuneralhomes.com/Obituary/6243/Roger_Winchell

Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Thu Oct 05 2017 01:15 AM
Many years ago, I had a rendezvous with Roger, somewhere in northern Indiana. I had sold him a globe lens and since I was going to be in the same area as he was, we decided to meet out on the road somewhere. We were in contact by phone and Roger directed me to his location so we could make the delivery.
That was a long time ago and we have always been connected by this great hobby we all enjoy so much! We had several little deals since that first encounter, and we both enjoyed every transaction.
Roger truly was one of the really good guys in this hobby and we all lost a good friend when he passed! He will truly be missed, as you don't often meet a truly sincere person such as Roger was. The hobby lost a big asset when he passed.
Our prayers and condolences to all his friends and family. RIP Roger!
Posted By: JimT Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Thu Oct 05 2017 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear this news. Thank you Tom.
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Thu Oct 05 2017 02:36 PM
Does anyone have a picture of Roger they could post (nothing in the obituary)? I believe I've met him at Iowa Gas, but would like to put a face to his name, if possible. As always... we're thinking of his family at this sad time. John
Posted By: leonardoil Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 11 2017 08:17 PM
Does anyone have Roger and Betty's address in Litchfield, Mi. thanks Jim White
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 11 2017 08:39 PM
Sorry to here of his passing. Frank
Posted By: ALSS72 Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Wed Oct 11 2017 10:09 PM
So sorry to hear of Rogers passing,my condolence goes out to his family and all of his friends.
Posted By: pumpdoc Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Thu Oct 12 2017 11:11 AM
Peace and Prayers to his Family and Friends. I was honored to be his friend.. Dan
Posted By: jimwinchell Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Thu May 17 2018 04:55 PM
All,

My name is Jim Winchell and I am Roger's eldest son. I apologize for this being so late, but I wanted to take the opportunity to tell each and every one of you "Thank You!" for all your kind words. We miss Dad each and every day. He truly loved collecting and visiting with all of you at the shows. Some have asked for a picture of Dad as well as an address. I have provided both below.

Thanks so much for caring,
Jim Winchell

Roger and Betty Winchell
980 Adams St.
Litchfield, MI 49252

Attached picture RogerWinchell.JPG
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Thu May 17 2018 06:21 PM
Thanks for the picture Jim! I am going to miss visiting with him this year.
Posted By: JimT Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Fri May 18 2018 10:51 PM
Thank you Jim. Know that he is missed and thought of...
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Sad News of Roger Winchell's Passing - Sat May 19 2018 01:13 AM
Thanks for the photo to jog our memory. Roger is missed by many here. Good to meet you.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk