Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: fatty Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Sun Sep 24 2017 06:17 PM
Where do you guys get repro gas pump ID tags stamped/engraved? I took one for a Tokheim 39 to a local jewelry store but the engraving looks far too fancy for lack of a better word. I would like to find a place to just make it look close to how it was originally.
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Sun Sep 24 2017 09:00 PM
GO TO HARBOR FREIGHT AND BUY A NUMBER AND LETTER PUNCH SET.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Sun Sep 24 2017 11:23 PM
Let me add something to what gaspumpfrank said. After you purchase the set from HF, take the old ID tag and practice on it. Don't practice on the new tag.

Jack Sim
Posted By: fatty Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Sun Sep 24 2017 11:26 PM
I will do exactly that then. I have a HF just down the street
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Mon Sep 25 2017 12:04 AM
I have used a trophy shop to engrave ID and data plates. They usually have a wide variety of type fonts (faces) and sizes available. Also, very reasonable, and a "factory look" end product. John
Posted By: RandyM Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Mon Sep 25 2017 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By Jolly-John
I have used a trophy shop to engrave ID and data plates. They usually have a wide variety of type fonts (faces) and sizes available. Also, very reasonable, and a "factory look" end product. John

I too have my ID plates done by a commercial name plate and sign engraver.
Posted By: fatty Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Mon Sep 25 2017 10:16 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! I will see if there is a trophy shop around here and talk to them.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Wed Sep 27 2017 07:25 AM
I put a new Id tag one every completely restored ECO I sell. Initially I tried to stamp my own, but as I explained above, it took practice. Use an old tag, start stamping, observe how apart the stamps should be, also observe how to keep the letters/numbers on the same level. This is not rocket science, it doesn't matter where you practice on the old one, it won't take you long to find out you can replicate the original.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Tue Oct 03 2017 12:22 AM
Like mentioned harbor freight sells a cheap set of stamps that work fine. Trick for me is to mount the plate on wood and then mount a wood strip over the face plate to act as a straight edge. I found my free hand stamping sucked...
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Reproduction Tag Stamping/Engraving? - Wed Oct 04 2017 02:49 AM
If anyone would like to have about 8-10 new ID tags that I screwed up trying to learn how to make them look nice, I will give them to you.
Yes, I started with a set of stamps from HF, after the above 8 ID tags I learned where to hold the stamp to keep it on the same line and how to make sure they were about the same distance apart.
Don't do what I did, practice on the old one, not the new one.

Jack Sim
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk