Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Craig Osbeck to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:14 AM
Many Many times this has been visited, but times have changed. Picked up a very nice 36B I believe still hooked up under an overhang. Had to unhook in which have not done so in about 20 years. This is a very nice original pump with the complete guts in it. Man is it heavy, but as I say times have changed and I am not sure that I want to keep it. I would have to restore and can't just have it this way. If I sold and of course if I kept it should I now remove the guts. Times have changed and many people want the insides still it in. Just moving it around is a misery and no way this would go into anyones house.
Thoughts people ??
Posted By: advertologist Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:22 AM
my 2ยข - gut it, this would be a good poll question .. ... cool
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:25 AM
I think everyone knows my opinion by now on guts. Here's what I do now. If I'm going to sell it, I leave intact and advertise that I can gut for them. If I'm keeping it, it's getting gutted....
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 01:18 PM
Keep the guts in it,for what ever you do.
But if you go against the norm today & gut it,let me know how I can pick up those guts up from you so I can give them to someone who has a 36B. smile
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 01:26 PM
Keep it complete and original as possible.
Posted By: Done4 Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 02:49 PM
Craig, could you post a pic?
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 06:21 PM
Here is that pump. Top is suppose to be on the property but we can't find it. They will let me know.

Attached picture DSC06297.JPG
Attached picture DSC06298.JPG
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 06:23 PM
Can't believe the camera does not work anyway but this. I can change the picture and it still goes back to sideways. I do have the little plate there, just took it off. No tag, pump plate screw holes either.
sorry
Posted By: Done4 Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 07:05 PM
Thanks Craig, man that is a real nice pump as is. I would clean it and love it!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 07:07 PM
Agree....love the look of that one!
Darin
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 07:22 PM
Were the trim pieces painted, polished or plated, they are pretty good but seem to not have been plated.
Posted By: Done4 Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 07:34 PM
Craig, I have seen them plated, stainless and painted on my pumps.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: to gut or not - Sun Sep 10 2017 09:37 PM
How much do you think a ad glass top would run If we could not find the one here?
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 12:54 AM
Leave it original 100% complete...
Posted By: keithia Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 01:33 AM
Times have not changed on this topic. Still a few that want guts in most don't. No way I would put one in the house with the guts in and anyone that knows how to handle a pump could easily steal with guts in. Kind of the same issue as with cans with or without oil. The norm on that one seems to drain them so why not gut a pump??
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 03:00 AM
Hard question to answer! Braden would have bought my farm fresh 36 B if zip had not gut it in on the farm in Nebraska! Well my trailer was full and already heavy so guess what we gutted that heavyweight on the spot! Now I still have it.
Rob

BTW those are heavy even without guts lol !!!
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 03:11 AM
It sounds you are going to sell it, so I would leave it up to the buyer. The buyer may not want them and at that point you could offer to remove the guts for them. For me it is a better deal to buy a pump without them. It has not stopped me from buying a pump with guts. There was one I was not going to buy because it had guts, the guy lowered the price so I took it.
Posted By: cggas Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 10:29 AM
36b tops are expensive.... I think the last one I sold brought $650-$700. But u may get lucky & find a deal. I personally would gut it. Chris
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 12:06 PM
...I'd leave them in...and I'm pretty sure there already has been a poll on this topic...those with a large collection of gutted pumps have a vested interest in perpetuating the narrative that a hollowed-out cabinet is somehow more desirable than a complete gas pump...

...also, it's considerably easier to make a living 'restoring' gas pumps by scrapping the motor, etc...needless to say, it would be easier to restore old cars and vending machines as well, using this method...some will say 'that's different - I'm going to drive the car, but I'm not going to pump gas; and what's a car without an engine?'...well, what's a gas pump, without the pump?...I'm sure collectors with 50+ Coke machines don't have them all full of product, running 24/7 - yet I don't know anyone who guts their drink machines, to make them lighter...ditto for those who collect vintage radios...
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 02:59 PM
Originally Posted By gulfiend!
...I'd leave them in...and I'm pretty sure there already has been a poll on this topic...those with a large collection of gutted pumps have a vested interest in perpetuating the narrative that a hollowed-out cabinet is somehow more desirable than a complete gas pump...

...also, it's considerably easier to make a living 'restoring' gas pumps by scrapping the motor, etc...needless to say, it would be easier to restore old cars and vending machines as well, using this method...some will say 'that's different - I'm going to drive the car, but I'm not going to pump gas; and what's a car without an engine?'...well, what's a gas pump, without the pump?...I'm sure collectors with 50+ Coke machines don't have them all full of product, running 24/7 - yet I don't know anyone who guts their drink machines, to make them lighter...ditto for those who collect vintage radios...

Don't drink the Kool-Aid folks! ~ guts ain't never gonna make a pump more valuable, just ain't gonna happen!
Posted By: RandyM Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 04:47 PM
Actually, when you really think about it you have to ask the question, "Why do I collect gas pumps?" For me, it is because they are really cool works of art and for me, that work of art doesn't need the internal mechanism to make it any more pretty to look at. Gas pumps aren't collected to operate like soda machines and cars, they are different. Those they leave the pumps in are never pumping anything ever. I don't collect things as investments, I collect them because I really like them because they are cool. Same with signs, globes, and cars. I am a collector not investor. I would just love the day when the bottom would fall out on all this stuff and then I can have more of it. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Posted By: nochevys Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 05:02 PM
I'm on the fence as far as gutting or keeping intact. As of late my thinking has been that 50's (short) and newer pumps are getting gutted. The older 20s-40s (tall) pumps are staying intact. I currently have an Erie 80 a Bennett 371 and 1 50's Gilbarco with guts due to very nice original condition. My Smithway L-1 and my Wayne 511 are gutted and restored.

I'm not a huge pump collector I only have 5 right now down from 6. I sold one to a neighbor because he's wanted one forever.
Posted By: petropumps Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 06:47 PM
I've changed my mind somewhat over the years. Used to be I gutted everything and I certainly am not opposed to that. But lately, I've been leaving pumps in the rarer stuff I get just because I've become a bit more of a purist. That being said, in 25 years of slinging pumps I've NEVER had a sale affected by whether or not the pump was gutted.
My 2 cents.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: to gut or not - Mon Sep 11 2017 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By RandyM
Actually, when you really think about it you have to ask the question, "Why do I collect gas pumps?" For me, it is because they are really cool works of art and for me, that work of art doesn't need the internal mechanism to make it any more pretty to look at. Gas pumps aren't collected to operate like soda machines and cars, they are different. Those they leave the pumps in are never pumping anything ever. I don't collect things as investments, I collect them because I really like them because they are cool. Same with signs, globes, and cars. I am a collector not investor. I would just love the day when the bottom would fall out on all this stuff and then I can have more of it. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

...well, I'm a collector, too, and an historian...IMO, the preservation of history - with a focus on historical accuracy - takes precedent over 'pretty'...that goes double for whimsical paint schemes...our hobby would do better in the long term to attract more historians; we've an overabundance of 'investors' as it is, and they're considerably more fickle than history buffs...
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: to gut or not - Tue Sep 12 2017 12:43 AM
Guts in a pump don't make it more valuable . I disagree here is one guy that would pay more money for a pump with all the internal parts , and depending on the pump it could be a lot more . Peter
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: to gut or not - Tue Sep 12 2017 01:29 AM
I certainly see all the different reasons for leaving in or taking out. I believe though that after seeing the thoughts that if I do decide to sell this I can take them out for whomever or leave them in and they can pay the extra shipping price. It will then become their question.
10 years ago we would probably not be having this conversation as much.
Thanks
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: to gut or not - Sat Sep 16 2017 01:27 PM
Still have never had anyone request internal pump kept or restored.,. Lots of upsides to gutting...easier resto, less smelly, reduced fire hazard, less likely damaged in shipping, etc.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: to gut or not - Sat Sep 16 2017 02:54 PM
So it's a matter of convenience for you?
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: to gut or not - Sat Sep 16 2017 03:38 PM
It's convinient, yes, because moving around heavy gas pumps that are restored is not fun. But it's more than that too, not many people are willing to pay the cost to restore internals and I'm not a huge fan of having gassy items in people's businesses or homes, same for old wiring for that matter. Don't want to burn somebodies house down because I don't no where these restored pumps may go. (And there combustible sometimes).
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk