Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tred diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Sun Sep 10 2017 10:30 AM
did diesel pumps have a larger diameter hose and/or nozzle than gasoline pumps had?

i picked up a nice, N.O.S. brass nozzle, cheap, that was apparently meant for a diesel pump, and the inside diameter of the fitting is slightly larger than one and a half inches. i don't have a hose on my M & S 80, but i assume a one inch hose would not fit(?)
if not, is there a reducer fitting available to marry these two sizes together? i can do the research on the fitting, but i thought i'd ask while i'm asking my other question.
if not, i think i will be posting a nice, N.O.S. brass nozzle, cheap, in the classifieds section, ha aha.

thank you in advance,
tred
Posted By: tred Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:36 PM
ok, so, apparently i like to leap before i look.
there IS a reducer fitting on my nozzle which is what makes it a diesel nozzle, it would allow an inch and a half hose fit into a nozzle which is meant for a one inch hose.
i removed that, it's a two-piece which i have NO idea how it would come apart, nor do i need to know. i simply removed it from the nozzle and now the same hose that fits into the outlet on the pump fits into my nozzle.
does anyone need this fitting? it's chrome like the standard fittings but then the larger, lower portion of it is brass.
FREE to a good home.
Posted By: tred Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:38 PM
can't believe i posted a thread before i tried to remove the fitting...
Posted By: tred Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Sun Sep 10 2017 11:44 PM
i find that odd, that this is really the only difference between diesel and gasoline. haven't researched it yet.
diesel flowing through an inch and a half hose would bottle neck when it hit the nozzle itself, so why bother?
anyone?...
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Mon Sep 11 2017 12:39 AM
Not all diesel pumps had the 1 inch fittings and some gasoline pumps used the one inch fittings. Some nozzles have a larger spout so there would be a faster flow.
Posted By: tred Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Tue Sep 12 2017 12:31 PM
well of course, i'm trying to learn which one had which
Posted By: RandyM Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Tue Sep 12 2017 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By tred

As Matt described, there is no set rule.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Tue Sep 12 2017 06:46 PM
Tred--I could use the fitting if you want to send it to me?

Kevin W Frith
804 Lakeview Drive
Devils Lake, ND--58301
Posted By: hawkike Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Tue Sep 12 2017 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By RandyM

Quite a no.of years ago when diesel started showing up in service stations some used LARGER nozzles that would not fit into a cars GAS fill pipe,you would be surprised at the amount of drivers that mistakenly put diesel in their gas tank! Saw it first hand!
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Tue Sep 12 2017 10:22 PM
I have a 80 gallon tank in the bed of my diesel pickup. It and the factory tank will hold 110 gallon. So I go to the truck stops which has the large hose and nozzle for tractors trailers.
You don't find the big nozzle at the car bays.You have to knock out the flapper valve in the stock tank or it won't fit. Had a friend who put diesel in his motorcycle that didn't work well,but it was really clean when we torn it down.
Posted By: ldj Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Tue Sep 12 2017 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By hawkike
Originally Posted By RandyM

Quite a no.of years ago when diesel started showing up in service stations some used LARGER nozzles that would not fit into a cars GAS fill pipe,you would be surprised at the amount of drivers that mistakenly put diesel in their gas tank! Saw it first hand!

Putting diesel in a gas vehicle isn't good thing but on the other hand it isn't bad. Putting gas in a diesel vehicle is a bad thing, no doubt about it.
Posted By: hawkike Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Wed Sep 13 2017 12:08 AM
Are you suggesting that gasoline engines run well on diesel?
Posted By: ldj Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Wed Sep 13 2017 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By hawkike
Are you suggesting that gasoline engines run well on diesel?

No,not today's modern computer controlled ones. Actually the computer might make enough changes that they might run pretty good. Diesel engines will run off kerosene or diesel and so will jet engines. I've had old tractors that you start on gas and after they warm up you turn off the gas and turn on the kerosene and they run good on it. When we were kids in early 50's and didn't have much money and gas was .25 gal and kerosene was .10 we would put kerosene in our old cars and they run well but smoked some. Next day when engine was cold you had to rig up a gas can direct to car. to get it started.
what I suggested was if you put diesel in a gas engine you will have problems but not harm the engine but if you put gas in a diesel engine you may blow up the engine.
Posted By: tred Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Thu Sep 14 2017 12:11 AM
cool, we're SO FAR off topic now i think i'll give up and just go turn my car on in the garage with the door shut and the car windows down!

damnit!!!
i drive a prius...
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Thu Sep 14 2017 12:56 AM
And....No Contains Lead signs on the pump.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: diesel pumps vs. gas pumps question... - Thu Sep 14 2017 01:03 AM
i find that odd, that this is really the only difference between diesel and gasoline. haven't researched it yet.
diesel flowing through an inch and a half hose would bottle neck when it hit the nozzle itself, so why bother?
anyone?...

Maybe I'll get you back on track. I can't speak to back in the day but from 1999 most truck stops in TN. use bigger nozzle and hose for the semis. I can fill the pickup I spoke about in 1st post in half the time as opposed to using diesel pump at car pumps.
Now you walk around the corner to the car pumps and they are using the same pumps. Can't speak to computers and pumps different in pumps that look just alike. Maybe the pump guys can help with that.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk