Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: model72 Wayne 60 Restoration - Fri Sep 08 2017 07:20 PM
I purchased a Wayne 60 wide body 5 weeks ago and it was in decent shape. I have worked every day on it for 5 weeks and finally have it ready for paint. Many hours of wet sanding. I decided to restore the horseshoe-shaped aluminum tags over the sight glasses and restore the Wayne ID tag. I don't care for either one of the repro Wayne ID tags. Neither is close enough to the original for me. The results turned out better than I expected.
Joe

Posted By: petropumps Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Fri Sep 08 2017 07:27 PM
Good work! I personally really like it when the original ID tag is restored. It's so personal to the pump. But it's not the easiest thing to do...well done.
Posted By: wayno48 Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Fri Sep 08 2017 07:27 PM
Very nice work. My favorite pump.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Fri Sep 08 2017 07:51 PM
Sorta wish you would have left it original and just change the hose, nozzle and preserved it but it's your pump and your call. Nice work on the tags.
Posted By: model72 Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Fri Sep 08 2017 08:01 PM
I would have been better of financially if I had left it as purchased. The ID tag probably took 4 hours from stripping the paint, repainting it with matte finish, rubbing off all of the paint on the raised letters, wet sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper, and topcoating with clear polyurethane. I tried spraying with glossy black paint, but glossy paint was too hard to rub off; easier to rub off the matte paint. The time involved was worth it.

I plan to make the original on/off switches operational so that the switches turn on/off a variable speed drill and the drill runs the Veeder-Root.
Joe
Joe
Posted By: old dog Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Fri Sep 08 2017 11:58 PM
The ID and horse shoe tags look great Joe. I've tried refinishing a horseshoe tag for a Bennett. I laid it flat and tried to block sand the raised areas, but some of the new black came off too.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Sat Sep 09 2017 12:14 AM
Looks great! Have you decided on a brand yet?
Posted By: model72 Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Sat Sep 09 2017 12:59 AM
To remove the paint I use a popsicle stick with strips of 600 grit sandpaper glued to the stick. The sandpaper gets gummed up quickly so I snip the end of the end of the popsicle stick off and have a fresh surface. I scuffed up some of the paint, but wet sanded the paint and letters with 1200 grit sandpaper, then spray with gloss polyurethane. I use small rattle cans from hobby shops because of the fine spray.
Posted By: model72 Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Sat Sep 09 2017 02:20 PM
I haven't decided on a brand/paint scheme yet.
Posted By: BrianH Re: Wayne 60 Restoration - Sat Sep 09 2017 10:00 PM
Nice work on the ID tags. I may try something similar when I tackle the gallon indicators on my visible pump over the winter.

BrianH
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk