Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: shavron Keep it original or use repop parts? - Fri Aug 11 2017 01:15 PM
Looking for opinions about restoring the pump. I know ultimately it is up to me.
The pump is for me, not to restore and sell for a quick buck.
Also does it make sense to do some with original parts like door skins.
Being my first pump I Don't know how good / bad repop parts are.
The pump will need a few parts to say the lest.
Posted By: shavron Re: Keep it original or use repop parts? - Fri Aug 11 2017 01:19 PM
Photos didn't upload, tying again.

Attached picture IMG_20170811_51849.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170811_5644.jpg
Posted By: shavron Re: Keep it original or use repop parts? - Fri Aug 11 2017 01:23 PM
Other side

Attached picture IMG_20170811_15347.jpg
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Keep it original or use repop parts? - Fri Aug 11 2017 01:35 PM
I would try to keep it as original as I could. I think that I might have a pair of doors.
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Keep it original or use repop parts? - Fri Aug 11 2017 01:56 PM
I would agree with Ryan. Looks like you have both face pans and a good top which are the harder parts to find. Pump also needs a base and hose outlet cover.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Keep it original or use repop parts? - Fri Aug 11 2017 10:28 PM
In case you don't know, you purchased a Tokheim 36B. This is one of the most desired Tokheim pumps that were made.

Here are some pictures that are on my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20pumps.htm

First click on Tokheim, then click on 36B.

There are two groups of us, some that like to restore the pumps back to what them looked like when they were put on the island. Then there are who like the looks of pumps with what they call "petina."
I have nothing against the 2nd group, I just like my pumps restored.
Now your pump, as mentioned it need a number of parts, but look at it this way, now that you have the best website and sources of parts, try and find another 36B that has the parts you need, then either restore it, or leave it as it is.
One other option, of all the parts on your pump, the top and a few other parts are what others are looking for, and probably worth more than what you paid for the pump.

Just don't get in a hurry, look around before you make a decision.

Jack Sim
Posted By: keithia Re: Keep it original or use repop parts? - Fri Aug 11 2017 10:48 PM
I have a good base for sale.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Keep it original or use repop parts? - Sat Aug 12 2017 02:50 AM
If your plan is to restore the pump new doors may be the way to go. They are nice. They will not need any bodywork. If you also get new sides then they will fit really nicely with out having to fight them on and off. I used a set and then had the pump powder coated. A powder coat finish is not as nice as an automotive finish but it was cheaper. This is the pump with new doors and sides.

© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk