Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mike M. IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 09 2017 04:23 PM
After another year of when doe's it start, when doe's it end and why is the auction during the busiest day of selling questions. I thought I'd take a poll here to see what everyone thinks.
Please only respond to the poll if you went or have gone to Iowa Gas.

At some point Ron and John have to make some changes or sell off the show so someone else does because I know a lot of people said they are done unless changes are made.

My biggest beef was the swap was going strong Wednesday Morning and boom the auction started and it just thinned out the crowd.

As most of you who know me know that If it's going to be a Wednesday to Friday show, I think Friday morning should be Auction time because most of us are done selling outside by Thursday Noon. And Ron has said the Holiday inn want's the show to be 3 days long.
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 09 2017 05:10 PM
Having the auction on Wednesday at noon definitely killed the sales for the vendors...seemed like a lot of the buyers never came back after the auction....
Posted By: BryceG Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 09 2017 06:06 PM
still dont understand why Weds-Fri is the only option. nearly every other show on earth uses the weekend for at least one day... Thurs-Sat or Fri-Sun.

2 days off work = feasible
3 days off work = not worth it

I would love if Iowa did similar as CTO... Thurs-Sat with auction Saturday around 10am-Noon.
Posted By: T-way Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 09 2017 07:27 PM
I told the promoters that if they had the auction on Wednesday next year, I'd cancel my 7 outdoor spots and not attend.

The Wednesday auction totally killed the entire show - which was unfortunate, because there was the absolute best selection of items for sale that I have ever seen at any show.

Jim
Posted By: BryceG Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 09 2017 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By T-way
there was the absolute best selection of items for sale that I have ever seen at any show.

I will second that!... been to 4 Iowa Gas shows, and this year had the best selection of items I have seen so far!
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 09 2017 09:37 PM
Just a question ... with how much this hobby has changed ... the demographics have changed, along with the advancement of social media, reality tv shows, etc ...

Are the people here on oldgas even the targeted audience anymore?

I don't know, that's why I ask.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 09 2017 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By Ohio Oil
Just a question ... with how much this hobby has changed ... the demographics have changed, along with the advancement of social media, reality tv shows, etc ...

Are the people here on oldgas even the targeted audience anymore?

I don't know, that's why I ask.

Great question Duane! I know a lot of members went but that brings up another question, does anyone ever see an advertisement for the Iowa Gas show anywhere??
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Thu Aug 10 2017 12:14 AM
Good for you Jim, and I know others will feel the same. And you are right- "The Wednesday auction totally killed the entire show - which was unfortunate".

I think the show should be Thursday vendor set up, Friday and Saturday swap meet. I'd prefer NO auction at any swap meet, but if there must be one, have it Friday evening or Saturday AM.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Thu Aug 10 2017 03:25 AM
A few years ago I missed a few IG shows, but I was there for the second show and about 25 after that.

I have seen many changes trying to perfect the perfect show. Much as they have tried there are always been complaints. I did not offer a opinion the the above post.

Just strictly based on this last show, where I was in attendance I would like to state my opinion.

Saturday shows do not work, yes hold the auction, but the vendors are gone and the guys who can only come to the show on Saturday will be disappointed. If you are new to the hobby and can only attend the events that are on Saturday, you need to start with the other smaller shows that are over the weekend. Iowa Gas and CTO is where big money changes hands, if these guys sell out, they are long gone. I am not trying to be smart, but that is what it was back in the 1990s and is still the way today.

OK, my opinion: This last show was a very good show, with the exception of the auction. Here is my suggestion. If the auction is as big as the one last week, divide it into two auctions, 1/2 being sold starting at 6:00 Wednesday and the same the next day. This will give the vendors time to get something to eat, and get to the auction, and since it will probably end at 9:00 each night, it will still give everyone time to hit the room to room sellers each night.

To all of you who stopped my our room to say hi I thank you. I brought 60 cans of Bud with me to thank you all for buying my books, got rid of most of them (well yes, I did make an effort to drink as many as I could).

Jack Sim

Posted By: bmxpro1 Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Thu Aug 10 2017 09:59 PM
I like that idea Jack! I went this year and it was my first time as I have just started collecting. I only had time to make it on Wednesday but I was there from 8am to almost 8:30pm taking in all the vendors, most of the auction, and then the room to room. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience but the auction did take up a lot of the afternoon so splitting that up would keep folks coming both of those days. As a first timer, I did buy a sign from a vendor and also one from the auction and I enjoyed talking to a lot of nice folks and learning more about this cool new hobby of mine!
Vince
Posted By: tbuckles Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Thu Aug 10 2017 11:19 PM
To say a Saturday/Sunday show doesn't work then explain to me why the Peotone show is so popular and with good general public foot traffic, granted the show is over by 1pm Sunday but no matter what day a show is on it dies off in the afternoon.

Des Moines is a different animal but it needs some tweeks. Somehow the general public needs to be attracted to these shows because there usually is something for everyone. Look at your good general antique shows that are on Sat/Sun, the aisles are packed with people.

The following is a post I made several days ago on Scott Benjamin's Facebook globe page.

"Rules, it's all about rules....the show needs some. CTO and others have them. A firm start and end time and vendors that stay set up till the clock stricks closed. I totally understand why vendors pack it up early, no buyers, why stay.
The show should start at set up on Thursday and end when the auction starts Saturday at noon. This show doesn't need to run as long as it does, how long does it take to see everything? It's not Hershey. And besides the expenses for the dealers is huge. Between the hotel and vendor registration my costs exceeded $1000 and that didn't include travel to get there. Hats off to guys like John Mancino and Gas Pump Rob who drove from each coast. Of course this is my opinion of a perfect world and I agree the auction on Wednesday killed the flow."

Tom.
Posted By: okoil1 Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Fri Aug 11 2017 12:13 AM
I've been to 29 consecutive.....16 years old at my first.

The zenith of Iowa Gas was having a somewhat regulated "dawn" start on Thursday morning with lot/ballroom vending Thursday/Friday until 3:00 PM. A Friday night can auction and Saturday general auction.

How this has evolved into a Monday-Wednesday show is multi-faceted but needs to be rectified. If the target demographic comes from TV shows, Facebook, etc (which I think it does) and younger collectors in general. Doesn't make more since to have a show that requires less vacation time from work?

The Wednesday auction is merely an action of promoter greed and Rich Penn should be embarrassed for allowing non original items into a auction at the hobby's premiere event. His pre-auction diatribe was laughable regarding enticing entry level collectors with "contemporary" signs. There was enough low priced ***** in the sale for entry level collectors without the need for 50-75 lots of "contemporary" signs.

Shorten the show. Put the auction at the end.
Posted By: intagas Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Fri Aug 11 2017 12:29 AM
Can't say it any better than that.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Fri Aug 11 2017 12:33 AM
I have not gone for about 15 years or more, simply long distance and when I got there a lot of stuff was either sold or brought for someone. Fun thing to do, but long way just to find out that no matter what day started there were always people selling two days before. Then they left early.
As stated, need secure times, do you really need an auction ? Its a swap meet.
Easy to buy stuff long distance now and do not buy porcelain because of all the repros. We are just a long ways away and the heavy stuff requires big truck and or trailer. Good luck to all that go and hope they all have a good time.
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Fri Aug 11 2017 12:35 AM
Good posts Tom and okoil1 !
Posted By: keithia Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Fri Aug 11 2017 02:22 AM
My opinion only. Vendor set up starts at noon on Thursday. Friday AM show starts with all day vending and room to room, Saturday AM vending and then have the auction start at noon or 1:00. Vending is usually done by noon on the second day so people can do final shopping in the AM and then go to the auction.
Posted By: nebrgas Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Sun Aug 13 2017 01:30 PM
I have attended IG as a non-vendor since 1995 and have always left a fair amount of cash with vendors, so guess I would be classified as "foot traffic".

This was the first year that there was absolutely nothing in the auction lineup that interested me, and the fact that the auction company allowed repros was insulting to me and the promoters apparently allowed the "tail to wag the dog". I headed home Wed noon.

I plan to become a vendor when it comes time to pass my collection on to others-I just hope Iowa Gas is still going when that time comes. It would seem that the promoters are more interested in the monetary benefits to themselves rather than listening to the voices of the people that have made it successful for so many years.

Dave
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Mon Aug 14 2017 01:32 AM
Right on the money there Dave.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Mon Aug 14 2017 02:00 AM
Originally Posted By keithia
My opinion only. Vendor set up starts at noon on Thursday. Friday AM show starts with all day vending and room to room, Saturday AM vending and then have the auction start at noon or 1:00. Vending is usually done by noon on the second day so people can do final shopping in the AM and then go to the auction.
. This is what I vote for 100 percent!

Rob
Posted By: BryceG Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Mon Aug 14 2017 12:24 PM
^^^Me Too! same schedule as CTO... which I dont think anyone has any complaints about.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Mon Aug 14 2017 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By BryceG
still dont understand why Weds-Fri is the only option. nearly every other show on earth uses the weekend for at least one day... Thurs-Sat or Fri-Sun.

2 days off work = feasible
3 days off work = not worth it

I would love if Iowa did similar as CTO... Thurs-Sat with auction Saturday around 10am-Noon.

I agree with Bryce 100%. They should copy the CTO schedule, and don't let anyone set up until Thursday afternoon, period. That gives you Thursday to sell (mostly selling to each other). Then Friday and Saturday you start to see large crowds. And then Saturday afternoon or Sunday is a good drive day.

We are not the only ones collecting this stuff, you must cater to the car guy or collector that works M-F, and can only get to the show Friday afternoon or Saturday. We could attract a lot more people, and sell more, this way, if you include the weekend There are a lot of younger people collecting this stuff, not everyone is retired. And to say this show is Wednesday to Friday is sort of a joke. It starts more like on Tuesday, or some would even say Monday. So when Joe-car-guy, who wants to get some signs for his garage gets there Friday, everyone is gone. Nor does Joe-car-guy want to take a day off, or head out on a weeknight.

Also, it is very easy to get free advertisement. Call the local news or radio station and invite them out on the very first day (Thursday). Therefore people will see it on the news and make it a point to go Friday or Saturday (if they opt to come out, but they usually like local 'what's going on around town' stories and will come out to do a bit).

And if there is an auction, have it Saturday at 1:00 or 2:00.

Just my 2 cents
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Tue Aug 15 2017 05:10 PM
Originally Posted By BryceG
^^^Me Too! same schedule as CTO... which I dont think anyone has any complaints about.

Better yet, just go to CTO! I can tell you that the new owners of that show really do care about their customers.
Posted By: Done4 Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Tue Aug 15 2017 08:17 PM
This has been a problem for years and one of the reasons many have stopped going. It's really hard for the promoters to control unlike some other shows. But if it was Friday afternoon set up Saturday show/auction leave Sunday I think I would play.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 16 2017 08:06 AM
Here I am back again.

I was at IG this year as early as Monday just because I wanted a handicapped space as close to the front door as possible.
Me, no vending outside, just a few things on the bed, mostly for guys who had asked me to bring items with me. Didn't care about the auction other than what I said above, 1/2 on Wednesday, 1/2 Thursday.

No real problems about the entire show, every thing seemed to slide along smoothly. The weather was great, yes a little hot, but nothing like it usually is in Iowa.

Now....If the promoters tell us the set up is Tuesday, well, I saw many trucks on the lot on Monday. The big outside area was already blocked off, but it was opened for anyone who wanted to get to their spots. I have no idea what they did as for selling something or if, did they tell everyone, "I cannot sell anything until tomorrow?"

That is just what every swap meet is about and we cannot do anything about it. Years ago I pulled in to Carlisle on the Monday of a week long event, I spotted a air meter (my specialty) and I purchased it. He didn't say wait to the event is "officially started." If you have a chance to sell anything you have, regardless of what day it is, "it is sold."

The same problems we are discussing about above are the same things we have brought up for years "the show lasts through Friday, but I cannot get to the meet until....."

I missed a few IG meets over the last few years, but I did attend the second one and over 25 ones after that.

I am sure there a few guys who complained back in the early 1990's that most of the vendors were gone when they got there, but, can we ask those same buyers "did you not learn how you needed to get to the meet sooner?" Most of us old guys soon learned when to be there to get the best buys.

In the early 1990s we got there on the day it started and we left when we felt it was not worth another night at a motel.

There were guys who complained no one was there on the last day. The next year those who came late the previous year came early, but again there were those who came on the last day, and again the next year they came earlier. This is how we learn.

If you were to ask guys about their first trips to IG, I believe many would tell you they came late an no one was there. But they learned. First, find items to sell, second get there early, be prepared to be there for a couple of days.

I really wish I didn't have to say this, but these shows (CTO, IG) have become nothing like what we were accustomed to back in the 1990s. Back in the 1990s my tables were full of gas pump parts and maybe a globe, today the tables are filled with signs and globes selling for (let me say high dollars). Today, don't look for gas pump parts "ASK." Years ago we usually had to ask about a pump part, now pump parts are to be found on tables of guys who specialize on selling gas pump parts. Now table are filled with high dollar globes and signs.

Again, what is all of the above about? It is about your first trip to a large show like OG and CTO. You will probably be disappointed, mainly because you came late and you found that the prices of the signs and globes are way beyond your present reach. But, you need to start somewhere. Start planning now, get the days off you need to attend these shows for more than a few days, save every penny over the year so that you have some money to purchase that one item you found. Now that you have learned what we are selling and buying, start looking for these things. The next year, sell anything you want to get rid of by putting it on the bed of the room you are using.
By now, you should have gained this certain mentality of buying and selling. If you have learned how to find and buy things and bring them to the next show. Donn't expect to make money, just hope to cover your expenses. Use a trip to IG or CTO to learn what is selling and what things are selling for.
This hobby has expanded so much since the early 1990s even us old timers need to look and realize where this hobby is going.

Start learning now, but do not stop.

Jack Sim

Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Aug 16 2017 11:17 AM
All good points Jack.
Overall I think the problem is Iowa Gas has lost touch,doesn't have very good direction or know what it wants to be.It's hard to plan ahead when each year seems to deviate from the prior.
What day will it advertise it starts on vs. what day will vendors really be selling?
The fact that it's well known for authentic auction was sprinkled with reproduction items,sure didn't help it's overall cause.
Because of these points,it's understandable why new comers,and now even seasoned veterans are more & more absent.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Sun Sep 10 2017 02:13 PM
Scott Benjamin just posted in PCM Magazine...

"I just got word of next years schedule of events. Here we go: Iowa Gas 2018, August 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Swap Meet Wednesday and Thursday only! Friday is the auction!
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Mon Sep 11 2017 03:06 PM
Thanks for sharing, Mike. It's wonderful news that the auction isn't during the swap meet selling time (Wednesday and Thursday). Hopefully, swap meet set-up time is still sometime on Tuesday. John
Posted By: Badlands Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Sep 13 2017 07:39 PM
I first went to IG in 2010, and the auction was 9:00 on Friday I believe.. I never REALLY understood the time change.. My buddy Jeff and thought maybe we had "missed a few treasures." then already, a few years later, I arrived on Monday afternoon thinking I'd have plenty time to relax and settle in, only to find an anthill of activity at 6:00 am Tuesday, and a FULL BLOWN event by Tuesday noon!! I am for the auction AT THE end of the event. It would be nice to have a strict schedule as I drive well over 800 miles and shut my business down for the time I am gone..
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Wed Sep 13 2017 11:39 PM
I specifically recall about 10 years ago,someone from this site telling me,"too bad",when I complained about how this show was run and how unfair it was to those of us who have to travel a long distance and ask for time off as well.
I won't divulge his name,or go into all that was said,but his bullet point was,"If you're not retired,then you have no business coming to this show".
I still have his email.
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: IOWA GAS SCHEDULE SURVEY - Thu Sep 14 2017 01:02 AM
I saw more traffic at our local flea market than on Wednesday this year, thank God they did something to fix it. 12 hour drive for nothing.
Goober
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk