Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Richards Pyroil Gasoline - Mon Jul 10 2017 12:34 AM
Anyone have a history on Pyroil Gasoline? I, like a lot of Collectors, have Pyroil Gasoline and Oil Additive tins in my collection... But, nothing relating to Pyroil Gasoline... I ran across a photo on the Online Magazine; "The Old Motor" website... Dated 1932... That shows a Pyroil Gas Station...

I've read what is on the 2012 Gas Pump Globes CD; but the images of the Pyroil Station does not look to me as if it is selling anything but Pyroil Gasoline.... I may be way offbase (I am more than I like to admit) with my assumption. But, it looks as if Pyroil was selling more than an additive to other Brand Gasolines....

I do not have permission to "recreate" the image; so follow this link and you will see the Page and images... http://theoldmotor.com/?p=96215

My biggest surprise is that the Pyroil Station in the photo was in Pasadena, CA... I expected such a Station to be in Wisconsin. Where the Pyroil Company was Headquartered....

I am wondering how long Pyroil sold Gasoline and where? Any help will be greatly appreciated... I would like to add another piece of information to my Petro knowledge, if possible...
Posted By: eshaver Re: Pyroil Gasoline - Mon Jul 10 2017 01:54 AM
Bob , I wish I could help you . David Greenee's publisher of the Old Motor is in a group I own on FB and he is very elusive as to answering questions concerning what shows in his magazine
Posted By: Carolinatraveler Re: Pyroil Gasoline - Mon Jul 10 2017 03:48 AM
Pyroil Gasoline was a franchise operation that offered Pyroil blended gasoline to franchised dealers across the country, not unlike Ethyl, Eythlene, various Benzol blend brands, etc. The 2016 globe CD actually established an entire section of these franchised products that were not otherwise associated with a major oil company (Pyroil was still with Ashland though in that book). I've seen the photo you mentioned, and it was one of several that was used to promote the franchise. There is no mention of any other brand in the photo. I guess it could have been a Pyroil only station, but would still have been part of the franchise arrangement. Numerous ads exist from old industry publications to confirm this.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk