Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: schuh Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Mon Mar 20 2017 10:32 PM
I'm restoring my first pump and didn't like the look of an empty sight glass. Filling it with some kind of colored fluid was just too much of a problem.

Amazon sells something they call glass paint, so I bought some and painted the inside of the sight glass.

The pictures below show the original sight glass and after being painted. Looks a lot more real to me!

Attached picture P_20170320_155429-640.jpg
Attached picture P_20170320_155448-640.jpg
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Mon Mar 20 2017 10:53 PM
I think you're onto something there! I like it!
Posted By: big blazer Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Tue Mar 21 2017 12:25 AM
Cool
Posted By: RedBkm Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Tue Mar 21 2017 01:22 AM
That definitely looks better than empty. I know gasoline colors varied widely back then. Did you pick red to match your pump's blend?
Posted By: schuh Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Tue Mar 21 2017 02:04 AM
Red was the only color I could remember seeing in the old sight glasses. The glass paint is available in many colors though. Green, blue (for the Sunoco fans), orange and others. I guess you could mix them and get whatever you want. ;o)
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Tue Mar 21 2017 02:19 AM
Are you just painting the spinner ? Glass doesn't look painted
Posted By: schuh Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Wed Mar 22 2017 01:22 AM
No, the spinner is the original color - white. The inside of the sight glass was painted with a red transparent glass paint.
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Wed Mar 22 2017 03:43 AM
I've found 2 different Sharmeter pumps with colored stained glass in them, one green and the other red. This was located behind the ventilated window frame on an MA-37 cash computer. Makes me wonder if they would flash at night? Anyway, your idea is pretty cool. Good luck with the rest of the restoration.

Goober smile
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Wed Mar 22 2017 11:05 AM
Nice touch, I like it.

Tom.
Posted By: LOWright Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Wed Mar 22 2017 12:25 PM
Much better!
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Wed Mar 22 2017 12:56 PM
I don't know about realism, but I would certainly do this on any pump I was doing! It looks cool! And maybe also try to get a small light in there.
Thanks for sharing!!!
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Sight Glass realism - an experiment - Sun Mar 26 2017 07:03 AM
I agree, very cool. I'll try it on the next resto I do too.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk