Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: nochevys buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 01:49 PM
So I'm driving home last night and as im crossing over a small creek and I see what looks like writing sticking out of the creek bed. I quickly swing my truck around for a closer look.
It looks like there is an early Texaco sign sticking out of the ground. I plan to go back tonight to see if I can free the sign from the creek bed. Im sure the sign is fairly trashed but the price will be right.

What size did these signs come in? Has anyone ever dug one of these from the bottom of a river before? Is it even worth getting the sign? Hope to have pictures tomorrow.

This is kind of what the sign looks like I can only see a small part of it. All I can see is "(asoli) Sticking out of the ground the rest id buried...

Attached picture TEXACO_sign_side2a_IMG_6406.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 02:51 PM
42" take pictures before you go swimming.there was a post on here before about someone finding signs dumped over the bank into the water.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 02:55 PM
Great discovery and I hope it looks as good as the model. Glad it had more than its "as*" sticking out, or you would driven right by!😎
Good luck with the dig. Hopefully it's not a 6' sign.
Posted By: gaspumpfrank Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 03:28 PM
Thought you wanted to give this stuff up? You never can. Good luck with the find.
Posted By: Done4 Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 05:22 PM
Good luck, I hope it pays off and as said please take lots of pics.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 07:59 PM
Might be a trap, be careful (lol)!
Posted By: nochevys Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 10:26 PM
The sign was not buried very much at all but it is trashed! a grade below barn hanger if there is such a thing...

Attached picture IMG_0423.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0425.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0426.JPG
Posted By: nochevys Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 10:30 PM
its a single sided sign here it is after some rinsing off and straightening will clean up some more yet...

Attached picture IMG_1451.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1452.JPG
Posted By: Done4 Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 10:31 PM
Dang, was really pulling for you to have a great find. But in a weird way that's cool.
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 10:48 PM
Put it on Craigslist I bet you will get more than what you think 😊
Posted By: nochevys Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By Done4
Dang, was really pulling for you to have a great find. But in a weird way that's cool.

I don't have that kind of luck. I like it as it is. 1st sign I've ever actually "found". I'll hang it on the shed and enjoy it...
Posted By: JimT Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 11:11 PM
Good for you-I like stuff like this too-even if it is trashed.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 11:13 PM
Your memory of the find is priceless, even if the sign isn't! Great story.
Posted By: Tankar Re: buried texaco sign - Tue Feb 28 2017 11:24 PM
its original. LOL
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 01 2017 01:36 AM
lol, I love it, It certainly has the Loo, even RustyRelics couldn't copy that one
Posted By: advertologist Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 01 2017 01:42 AM
that sign has one thing going for it,
a lot of patina .. ... cool
Posted By: Speedracer Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 01 2017 04:20 AM
Of course it would have been great if it was in good shape, but what a cool story. I would never sell it, because it's not about the money; you have a cool story and the sign that goes with it. Like you said, hang it up and be proud of it for what it is, and the cool story.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 01 2017 08:06 AM
Having only been in the hobby for 5 years, one of the strangest and surprising aspect of the hobby for me has been buried signs and the stories people tell. I just never thought that this is one way/place people would find things. If the signs could only talk.
And here this story is one of the best ever. Again, if that sign could only talk. How in the world did it end up there? Crazy to me!
Congrats on a crazy find!!
Posted By: AintQik Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 01 2017 08:40 AM
This is a great story! I found one buried in a guy's yard one time. I think it may have been a bike ramp somebody forgot lol! That would absolutely go on my wall. If nothing else, somebody, some day, is going to ask "where in the heck did that come from?"
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 01 2017 12:19 PM
Great find!
Posted By: wocopep Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 01 2017 01:13 PM
Hang it on the wall and tell anyone who asks that story. Thats the real gem.
The sign is a diamond in the rough.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 01 2017 01:45 PM
Tom is now the man who wears the star.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: buried texaco sign - Sun Mar 05 2017 12:01 PM
Go back with a metal detector!
Posted By: rustynuts Re: buried texaco sign - Sun Mar 05 2017 03:08 PM
The problem with rivers in NY is they freeze almost solid & the ice destroys whatever gets in the way. Might get lucky with a detector depending on how deep things are. I have an extra machine I'd let you use. Give me a shout Tom. I'll help you find whatever's there...if anything
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 15 2017 07:03 AM
Nice save...that sign will always have a special place in your collection and mind.
Posted By: GHH Re: buried texaco sign - Wed Mar 15 2017 01:40 PM
Very neat find, even in its condition.
Some of the older gentleman around here that used to work for the local oil companies have told me about a "pump dump" in the woods about 30 min from my house where they disposed of old pumps.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk