Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Dave's Garage Help with identifying an oil can rack. - Mon Feb 06 2017 03:08 AM
I bought this quart oil can rack last week. I'm trying to determine what company it was originally branded. The top oval part was a sign. However, it has been sitting in the desert and sun for a long, long time. It was originally painted green. It is a Canadian piece as it held Imperial Quart cans.

The base is cast iron and the rest of the rack is very well constructed. Would have been an expensive rack to build.

I'm thinking maybe Valvoline as the early cans were green. I don't think it would have been Pennzoil because then the rack wouldn't have been painted green.

I'm hoping someone has one in their collection and can help. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached picture rsz_oil_rack_fluted-1.jpg
Attached picture rsz_oil_rack_fluted-3-1.jpg
Attached picture rsz_oil_rack_fluted-2.jpg
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Help with identifying an oil can rack. - Mon Feb 06 2017 03:27 AM
A few oil companies had oil can racks made for them, but most racks are generic. I have a file full of pictures of racks, but this is a new one to me.
Good luck with your search.

Jack Sim
Posted By: coopersplace Re: Help with identifying an oil can rack. - Tue Feb 07 2017 02:32 PM
Dave the shape of your sign looks like it would have been a B.A. oval Peerless sign. The mounting bolt pattern seems identical. The rack in the photo is one of two from the Alex Cowell auctions. I sort of doubt that the lower round racks are original to the signs. I could be wrong but round platters to hold quarts doesn't make much sense to me. Your rack looks much more correct for the period.

Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Help with identifying an oil can rack. - Tue Feb 07 2017 02:53 PM
Hello Don. You were one of the experts that I was hoping would offer their opinion. I believe, this is the first time; I've seen this version of a BA oil rack sign.

The BA bowtie era definitely puts the rack in the time frame of quality manufactured advertising pieces.

I'll probably be restoring this rack later this year. Thanks for the image. Armed with that image, I can always replicate the artwork on the sign blank that I have. I really appreciate the help.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Help with identifying an oil can rack. - Tue Feb 07 2017 10:46 PM
here is the rack Dave, it was restored when I got it but sign is all original, I know of another sign but likely not cheap.
B/A is cast into the original base also, looks like they may have ground that off on yours.

Attached picture ba rack.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Help with identifying an oil can rack. - Wed Feb 08 2017 02:01 AM
Hello Kim, I was hoping you would also comment. Thank-you for posting the photo and confirming what Don had stated earlier.

I think, this is one of those situations that there is no way out cheap; 18 Bowtie Peerless cans are also going to be pricey. If you can check into that sign...I would very much appreciate it. I would rather attempt to find an original sign then replicate the sign.

I appreciate all your help.
Posted By: Johnay Re: Help with identifying an oil can rack. - Wed Feb 08 2017 12:37 PM
Dave I know you said you didn't think it was a Pennzoil rack. Here is a picture I saved of a BA station with that rack in Pennzoil. Can't tell from a black and white picture but it very well could have been green with Pennzoil sign as those cans look like the Pennzoil cans by BA.

Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Help with identifying an oil can rack. - Wed Feb 08 2017 04:01 PM
Johnay, thanks for posting that photo. Good to know that the rack was also made with Pennzoil branding. Neat station, first time I've seen a self framed B/A bowtie service station sign. All the ones I've had have been flat porcelain signs.
Wonder, what the sign on the post in background on the left is?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk