Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: clpike1 New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sat Feb 04 2017 03:22 PM
Purchased a new home and wanted a few signs for my awesome garage and I think I got ripped off on eBay. Wish I had known about this forum before I made the purchase. Could someone look at the images below and just confirm it for me? Ill never buy a sign from eBay again, only looking on this wonderful site from now on.

Purchased from jaw0499jeff
http://imgur.com/a/C29ID

Thanks

that is a 20. aftermarket model .. ... cool
Chad, welcome too oldgas
if your not sure don't buy it-
ebay is 95% aftermarket
education - education - education
Posted By: keithia Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sat Feb 04 2017 04:14 PM
If you are interested in a sign on Ebay and you are not sure...ask here first.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sat Feb 04 2017 04:55 PM
As stated...all 3 are reproduction signs, with the usual fake chipping and acid dip rust to fool potential buyers. Expensive entry lesson into the hobby, but anymore these 12" repro signs are what most new collectors buy first, and most are pure fantasy signs never made/used by the company originally. Welcome to the site and start learning! smile
Darin
Posted By: Speedracer Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sat Feb 04 2017 05:37 PM
Chad,

A few things. First, as you now know a vast majority of all sign on eBay are fake. But since you are new to this site, I want to direct you to this thread...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=664999&page=2

....if you scroll to the bottom, you can see a large list of people who sell fakes on eBay. The problem is, it's probably a small percentage of those that do. For every name we add, 3 more sellers of fakes pop up.

Secondly, you should get your money back with eBay's money back guarantee. Write the seller and file a 'money back guarantee complaint' with eBay. Even if you are over the time limit, still do it and you will probably win. You were a victim of a fraud on their website. Those are all $20 reproduction signs.

And lastly, don't think it's just the 12" signs. India is re-popping signs up to 48".

Welcome to Oldgas, and sorry to hear about your purchase.

-Steve
Chad, Welcome to Oldgas. As stated above, your best defense is to get educated and gain as much knowledge as possible. The members on this site are a wealth of information and willing to give their opinions on fakes and frauds versus the real deal. Best of luck in recovering your money.
Posted By: clpike1 Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sat Feb 04 2017 06:16 PM
I really appreciate everyone's input and knowledge. I try to be as honest as they come and couldn't sleep at night if I did this to people. Ill never purchase a sign off eBay again. Can you guys recommend any place else to look for authentic signs or just keep an eye on the for sale forum on oldgas? Really want to get my garage decorated but now I am super gun-shy. Thanks again, all, this site is wonderful.
Posted By: BryceG Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sat Feb 04 2017 06:35 PM
99% of the time... if something seems like a really good deal... then there is a reason why.

my best advice to new people to the hobby... start looking at old gas station photos! familiarize yourself with the brands and what signs they used. research the signs before you buy them.

if you see a 12" musgo sign... search google or oldgas for 'Musgo sign' you will quickly learn that the only musgo originals are highly sought after, and not something you're going to find for $80 on ebay.

the hobby is a competitive one... if you want to decorate your garage with original porcelain signs, you can expect to pay thousands... not hundreds.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sat Feb 04 2017 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By clpike1
Can you guys recommend any place else to look for authentic signs or just keep an eye on the for sale forum on oldgas? Really want to get my garage decorated but now I am super gun-shy.

Try to get to a petroliana show. On the main page of this site, go to BUY/SELL and click SWAP MEETS. You can learn a ton by just talking to people and looking at items. You will also make friends who can help you in the future. And of course you can buy some good items there.
Posted By: Done4 Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sat Feb 04 2017 11:57 PM
All these recommendations are valid, but don't be discouraged, we all started out with more emotion then knowledge so this site can be very helpful in your learning curve. Don't give up and have fun in the hunt.
Posted By: clpike1 Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sun Feb 05 2017 02:53 AM
What are the clues on these that leads everyone to think they are fakes? I am guessing one of the clues is the rust is red; rust should be brown.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Sun Feb 05 2017 04:34 AM
Sometimes it as simple as looking at the small stuff. LOL

This is a 42" sign that has hanging holes in the top also where if they had really made one it would have fit in a ring to be hung.

Attached picture FAKE TIOLENE1.jpg
Attached picture FAKE TIOLENE.jpg
Posted By: JimT Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Mon Feb 06 2017 12:27 AM
Rasheed: "Yes,That is how you spell it,Habib. P,e,n,n,s,y,l,v,a,n,t,a- it is a country in America."
Habib:" What? Oh alright then Rasheed, if you say so-you are the boss."
Rasheed, thinking to himself: And to think we pay that guy 100 Rupees an hour.
Another good idea would be to familiarize yourself with reproduction signs available. Easy to do, just look at the websites.

Like already stated the 3 signs you bought are all readily available for $20.00 a piece everywhere, including e-Bay. If you had taken the time to search these signs even on e-Bay before bidding on them you may have saved yourself some money.
That's hilarious Jim !
Posted By: kenr Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Wed Feb 08 2017 02:29 AM
Welcome to oldgas. These guys around helped me allot . I was ripped off on ebay too here is my waLl of shame. I would say my frist 10 signs where b.s. and yes it you want orginals your going to pay thousands... I'll post my orginal wall and im sure i have close to $10,000 already and only started in Aug of 2016
Frist are all fake

Attached picture 20170202_163759-800x600.jpg
Attached picture 20170207_145420-800x600.jpg
The Musgo sign is great. People are paying a lot for these knowing they are fake as the topic and visual is so desirable.
Here's a sign listed on e-Bay; some poor sap is being ripped off to the tune of $601.00, 67 bids. Who knows what the final price will be for this $20.00 fantasy sign.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNION-GASOLINE-M...-/232218679153?
Posted By: huskybob Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Wed Feb 08 2017 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By Dave's Garage
Here's a sign listed on e-Bay; some poor sap is being ripped off to the tune of $601.00, 67 bids. Who knows what the final price will be for this $20.00 fantasy sign.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNION-GASOLINE-M...-/232218679153?

Looks like one of Dwaine's images and if it is that would mean it's a decal on powder coated metal.
That would explain all the grommets missing, but they were not able to "chip" the decal like they chip the Andy R. signs to make them look older.
Hammer down $865.00...it's true some people have too much money!!! Pic attached of sign from e_Bay listing.

I don't condone any behavior that involves someone getting taken advantage of. However, this exemplifies; "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Attached picture rsz_1s-l1600.jpg
Another one is on sale now. Already up to $75

Posted By: kenr Re: New to sign world and I think I got ripped off - Thu Feb 09 2017 10:19 PM
If someone could chim in i had read on one of these threads that gromet holes ar 0,3,6,& 9 is a huge warning . I have also noticed that allot of pump plates that i know to be repoped are a bright white on the backs, is this a dead give away also?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk