Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BrianH Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Thu Dec 29 2016 05:00 PM
Hi guys,
I have the chance to buy this neon Buick dealer clock. From the attached picture it looks OK, but I can't find any evidence where Lackner made this particular clock. Most of the ones I see are Chevy clocks. I want to make sure this isn't a fantasy piece. I know it would be easier to tell if we could see the back as well but this is the only pic I have. Would love to hear what the clock experts on Oldgas think about this one.

Thanks,
Brian H

Attached picture Buick Clock.JPG
Posted By: Signs&Neons Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Thu Dec 29 2016 09:07 PM
this clock is definitely a reproduction.... Original Buick clocks were made, but this is not one of them. One easy way to tell is the originals have a more definite "step" (change in diameter) of the outside case of the clock. If you look at an original Chevy time clock photo you can tell what I am referring to.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Thu Dec 29 2016 10:09 PM
Original Valve in Head Buick Lackner should have clock numbers on the face glass. The Buick plate should be recessed to the back of the clock to appear good and deep. Also, case color is normally a crinkle black and should have early style non-safety power cord. Also, original neon tube itself is larger than most repro neon tube. Screws should be flat blade. If you go to Liveauctioneers and search for Buick clocks you'll see originals from 40's-60's and then repops. Pretty easy to tell when you see them on the same page.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Thu Dec 29 2016 10:20 PM
Guess I'll have to be more careful, that clock looked pretty original to me!
Posted By: BrianH Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Thu Dec 29 2016 11:49 PM
Paul,
Looks like you are referring to this one as a good original?

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/44214422_buick-valve-in-head-neon-clock

That one looks really nice and I see what you mean about the recessed face. The face is so clean it almost makes me think it's a replacement!

Well, at least I know now not to offer too much for it. If I could get it for repop prices I still wouldn't mind having it. It's a cool clock. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Brian H
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Fri Dec 30 2016 12:41 AM
This is the one I want!

Attached picture vintage-1940s-round-buick-time_1_de8b2895fa776e63149cbe18f06f9bd2.jpg
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Fri Dec 30 2016 12:46 AM
I think this is more like the clock you are interested in... probably not lackner. (PICS from Worthpoint.com) Notice how numbers gone.

Attached picture early-vintage-buick-dealership_1_bb7ce190b6b2ff636b5d4b2e2f5a3527.jpg
Posted By: BrianH Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Fri Dec 30 2016 03:26 AM
Wow Paul, that clock in the second picture looks like it fell off the back of a truck! I'd take it if it were in better shape though...

BrianH
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Mon Jan 02 2017 12:35 AM
Yeah, that clock is just a little rough! Im glad you got me thinking about these clocks again Brian, happened to pick one up today... Oldsmobile, very cool! I happen to already have the Oldsmobile "parts" clock, so should be a cool set!

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: BrianH Re: Lackner Buick dealer neon clock - authentic? - Mon Jan 02 2017 09:54 PM
Paul, that Olds clock is awesome. Nice find.

BrianH
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk