Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: advertologist associated oil company tin sign - Sat May 14 2016 11:12 PM
does anybody know how this was used?,

measures 9" X 1 1/8" embossed tin .. ... cool

your 2ยข

Attached picture IMG_2187[1].JPG
Posted By: hancock-oil Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sat May 14 2016 11:28 PM
Randy
And I have been talking about this and I'm thinking mail box post sign?????? This is my sign. Jim
Posted By: VEEDOL_AL1 Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 12:24 AM
Dam those are cool,wish I knew what they were used for....sre would like to get my hands on one..Alan
Posted By: BryceG Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 12:47 AM
possibly off of the neck of a lubester?
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 01:14 AM
Maybe a pump shipping tag of some kind.
Posted By: Nicole Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 12:21 PM
For a door/screen door?
Posted By: veltex Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 03:08 PM
My guess is something wood, stake bed truck, fence post, sign post, property marker, tank ladder, ?
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 04:34 PM
When, I started typing my response; I was sure that I didn't remember seeing such a sign in any images I have.

I was typing that I had seen similar signage on "oil dispenser/barrel pumps". But those just had Associated on them; not Associated Oil CO. all squeezed together.

AL and I talked about these signs and the use of them this morning; and I said I had no idea of there use.

Honestly the signs didn't make much sense to me (until I read Dean's (Veltex) reply); especially the 9" length threw me off... Every scenario I could think of for a use of such a sign, I immediately rejected... A screen door push, I would think would be much longer than 9"... (7' door, 9" push; much too small for what I am used too) Same with on a Utility Vehicle... So much room, why make it so small?

Associated Oil, like every other Major Oil Company took great pride in their "Branding"... And these signs are just the opposite.

But, then Dean mentioned a Property marker... And I remember an old image of the Avon Oil Field, just as it was being converted to the Avon Oil Refinery. If I am not mistaken, the image had similar small signs as property markers. And if that is the case; then I could "see" such signs used for marking a Pipe Line Route; and at approx. 9"x1", they would be the perfect size to attach to a piece of "T" fence post....

But, I'm just guessing... Thanks, Dean for getting my mind and memory working!...
Posted By: dundign Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 05:01 PM
Randy I have 2 of these one the same and a different version which I got from DB
Tom
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 05:12 PM
Tom, would it be possible for you to share an image of your signs? (I want all the reference images I can find, so I can keep an eye out and possibly add such a sign to my collection in the future...)
Posted By: dundign Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 08:50 PM
Bob sent you some pics ..Tom
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: associated oil company tin sign - Sun May 15 2016 10:39 PM
I always thought they were on utility poles owned by the company, I have a couple
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk